Help with a Reference Level of Radon in Water

In summary, the recommended action for water supplied in commercial or public settings in the EU is to set a reference level for radon at or above 100 Bq/l. This level may be adjusted if national surveys deem it necessary. Remedial action is deemed necessary for concentrations above 1000 Bq/l for radiation protection purposes. The directive also sets a limit of 100 Bq/l for drinking water.
AndresPB
Guys, I'm keep searching for a WHO standard of Radon of Water in Bq/m3 but I can't find one. Can anyone help me find some references of maximun contamination level of Radon in Water? It may be EPA, or something else too.
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
In the EU, the recommendation is as follows:
5. For water supplied as part of a commercial or public activity, the following action should be taken:

(a) above a concentration of 100 Bq/l, Member States should set a reference level for radon to be used for consideration whether remedial action is needed to protect human health. A level higher than 100 Bq/l may be adopted if national surveys show that this is necessary for implementing a practical radon programme. For concentrations in excess of 1000 Bq/l, remedial action is deemed to be justified on radiological protection grounds;
See also this directive, which also takes 100 Bq/l as a limit for drinking water.

Related to Help with a Reference Level of Radon in Water

1. What is radon and why is it important to test for it in water?

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that is found in soil and rocks. It can seep into water sources and become a potential health hazard if ingested. Testing for radon in water is important to ensure that the level is within safe limits for human consumption.

2. What is the recommended reference level for radon in water?

The recommended reference level for radon in water is 4,000 pCi/L (picocuries per liter) according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This level is based on the potential health risks associated with long-term exposure to radon in drinking water.

3. How is radon in water measured?

Radon in water is measured using a unit called pCi/L, which stands for picocuries per liter. This unit measures the amount of radioactive particles in water. A water sample is collected and analyzed in a laboratory to determine the concentration of radon present.

4. What are the health effects of consuming water with high levels of radon?

Long-term exposure to high levels of radon in drinking water may increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer, such as stomach cancer. It can also contribute to other health issues such as respiratory problems and kidney damage.

5. How can I reduce the radon level in my water?

If your water test results show elevated levels of radon, there are several ways to reduce the concentration. These include installing aeration systems, granular activated carbon filters, or reverse osmosis systems. It is best to consult a professional to determine the most effective method for reducing radon in your specific water source.