Help with 3axis Helmholtz Coil

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with simulating a 3-axis Helholtz Coil in Maxwell 3d. They have created models but are unsure about the ratio of coils and the current excitation. They also request examples of H or B field plots to compare with their own. The speaker also mentions using the 3-D steerable magnetic field for a specific purpose and asks about the size and strength of the coils and the desired volume to be filled with the magnetic field.
pisoj
First of all, hello to all of you.

My question is, I want to simulate 3-axis Helholtz Coil in Maxwell 3d. I made some models of it, but I am not sure I got all right - especially ration of coils in x-y-z and their current excitation.

Second, i'd like to see H field, or B field plot if some of you has it, as I am not sure if mine is alright.

thanks in advance, and I hope this topic will get to live!

Engineering news on Phys.org
pisoj said:
First of all, hello to all of you.

My question is, I want to simulate 3-axis Helholtz Coil in Maxwell 3d. I made some models of it, but I am not sure I got all right - especially ration of coils in x-y-z and their current excitation.

Second, i'd like to see H field, or B field plot if some of you has it, as I am not sure if mine is alright.

thanks in advance, and I hope this topic will get to live!
Can you show us what you have so far? Are the coils excited with DC or AC currents? Can you say what you are going to use the 3-D steerable magnetic field for? How large are the coils going to be, and how high will the field be? How large is the volume that you want to fill with the magnetic field from the 3 pairs of coils?

Related to Help with 3axis Helmholtz Coil

1. How does a 3-axis Helmholtz coil work?

A 3-axis Helmholtz coil is a type of electromagnetic coil that produces a uniform magnetic field in three dimensions. This is achieved by arranging three coils in a Helmholtz configuration, with the axes of each coil aligned with the x, y, and z axes. When current is passed through these coils, they produce a combined magnetic field that is uniform and parallel to the ground.

2. What is the purpose of a 3-axis Helmholtz coil?

A 3-axis Helmholtz coil is commonly used in scientific experiments and research to create a precisely controlled magnetic field. This type of coil is especially useful for studying the effects of magnetic fields on materials or for calibrating and testing magnetic sensors.

3. How is the magnetic field strength of a 3-axis Helmholtz coil determined?

The magnetic field strength of a 3-axis Helmholtz coil can be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * I * N / R, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, N is the number of turns in the coil, and R is the radius of the coil.

4. Can the magnetic field direction of a 3-axis Helmholtz coil be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field in a 3-axis Helmholtz coil can be changed by simply reversing the direction of the current flow through the coils. This allows for greater control and versatility in experiments and research.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a 3-axis Helmholtz coil?

Yes, since a 3-axis Helmholtz coil produces a strong and uniform magnetic field, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using it. This may include keeping magnetic materials away from the coil, ensuring proper grounding, and following all manufacturer's instructions for safe operation.