Help with 2 questions coast of electricty and pressure

In summary, the solar water heater will use a pump to lift 400 liters of cold water per day. The daily cost of electricity is $0.065 per kilowatt hour.
ABR124
Hi

I am stuck on two questions here not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post it in, sorry in advance if it isn't. Ok the questions, my problem is that I'm not sure on the equation to use to solve these problems first problem is

A solar water heater utilizes a pump to lift 400 L of cold water per day through a vertical displacement of 7.0 meters. What is the daily cost of electricity, if the rate is set to be $0.065/kWh? Acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s2 and the density of water is 0.996 g/L.

second problem
Calculate the pressure exerted by the air to the base of the column (area is 1.0 m2). The density of air can be taken a 1.3 kg/m3 and the volume of the container is 100L. Assume ideal gas behaviour and standard conditions (atmospheric pressure and 25 degrees C)

Ok I don't really know where to start with these problems and I'm not looking for the solution to these problems just maybe someone to help me on the right track or maybe to provide me with the equations to do these problems. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electricity is used to do the work of lifting the water. Calculate this work. Note, that water density - as listed - i sworng.

I am not sure if I get 2nd question. Is it a closed container?

the container is open for the second question...the first question first find the mass then find Force

alright I think I figured out the first problem

w=m x g x deltaz
=(400L/day)(9.81m/s^2)(7m)
= 27468 J/day

(27468/3.6 x 10^6) x 0.065
=$0.00049

the second one I'm still having problems with i think the equation is PV=NrT
so it would be P=nr(25 C)/100L I'm just not sure what N and R are...

Related to Help with 2 questions coast of electricty and pressure

What is the cost of electricity?

The cost of electricity varies depending on factors such as location, energy provider, and type of electricity (e.g. renewable vs. non-renewable). In the United States, the average cost of electricity is around 13 cents per kilowatt-hour. However, this can range from 7 cents per kilowatt-hour in some states to over 20 cents per kilowatt-hour in others.

How is the cost of electricity determined?

The cost of electricity is determined by several factors including the cost of generating electricity, the cost of transmission and distribution, and the cost of taxes and other fees. These costs are then passed on to consumers through their electricity bills. Government regulations and market competition also play a role in determining the cost of electricity.

What is the relationship between electricity and pressure?

The relationship between electricity and pressure is complex and depends on the specific context. In general, pressure is the force per unit area, while electricity is the flow of electric charge. In some situations, an increase in pressure can lead to an increase in electrical conductivity, while in others, pressure can disrupt electrical flow. Ultimately, the relationship between electricity and pressure is determined by the materials and conditions involved.

How does the cost of electricity impact the environment?

The cost of electricity can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power can help reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change. However, the production and use of electricity from non-renewable sources such as coal and natural gas can contribute to air and water pollution, as well as contribute to the depletion of natural resources.

What are some ways to reduce the cost of electricity?

There are several ways to reduce the cost of electricity, including using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and switching to renewable energy sources. It is also important to compare energy providers and plans to find the best rates. Additionally, making small changes in daily habits, such as using natural lighting and adjusting the thermostat, can also help lower electricity costs.