Help w/ Proof in Category Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of direct products in the category Tors, which consists of torsion abelian groups. The proof involves defining the torsion subgroup of a direct product and using inclusion and projection maps to show that it serves as a direct product. The red part of the proof involves function-valued functions and evaluating them at a specific index. The person asking for help does not understand this step and requests for a more detailed explanation.
mathsss2
I don't understand this proof, specifically the part in red, I don't understand. Please help me understand this step in the proof. Thanks!

Let Tors be the category whose objects are torsion abelian
groups; if [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are torsion abelian groups, we define [tex]\text{Mor}_{\text{\textbf{Tors}}}(A, B)[/tex] to
be the set of all (group) homomorphisms [tex]\phi : A \rightarrow B[/tex]. Prove that direct
products exist in Tors; that is, show that given any indexed family [tex]{A_i}_{i \in I}[/tex]
where each [tex]A_i [/tex] is a torsion abelian group, there exists a torsion abelian group
which serves as a direct product for this family in Tors.

Proof- Let [tex]T[/tex] be the torsion subgroup (that is, the subgroup of elements of finite
order) of [tex]P = \prod_{i \in I} A_i = \{f : I \rightarrow A_i : f(i) \in A_i \text{ } \forall i\}[/tex]; here of course
[tex]P[/tex] is the direct product of [tex]\{A_i\}_{i \in I}[/tex] in the category Ab. Let [tex]j : T \rightarrow P[/tex] be
the inclusion and for each [tex]i \in I[/tex], let [tex]\pi_i : P \rightarrow A_i[/tex] denote the usual projection
map; that is, [tex]\pi_i(f) = f(i)[/tex]. (In coordinate notation, [tex]\pi_i(a_0, a_1, \ldots) = a_i[/tex].)
For each [tex]i \in I[/tex] define [tex]\tau_i : T \rightarrow A_i[/tex] by [tex]\tau_i = \pi_i * j[/tex]. I claim that the group
[tex] T[/tex] together with the maps [tex]\{\tau_i\}_{i \in I}[/tex] constitute a direct product for [tex]A_{i \in I}[/tex] in
Tors. Well, given a torsion group [tex]S[/tex] and maps [tex]\sigma_i : S \rightarrow A_i[/tex] for each [tex]i \in I[/tex],
one defines [tex]h : S \rightarrow T[/tex] as follows: given [tex]s \in S[/tex], let [tex]h(s) \in T[/tex] be the function
defined by [tex]\color{red}{[h(s)](i) = \sigma_i(s)}[/tex]. Then clearly [tex]\tau_i * h = \sigma_i \text{ } \forall i \in I[/tex]. Moreover,
if [tex]h' : S \rightarrow T[/tex] is any other map such that [tex]\tau_i * h' = \sigma_i[/tex], then for any [tex]s \in S[/tex] and
[tex] i \in I[/tex], [tex]\color{red}{[h(s)](i) }= (\tau_i * h)(s) = \sigma_i(s) = (\tau_i * h')(s) = \color{red}{[h'(s)](i)}[/tex], so [tex]h = h'[/tex].

I don't understand what [tex]\color{red}{[h(s)](i) = \sigma_i(s)}[/tex] is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Function-valued functions can be confusing; I've always found that stepping through the notation in painstaking detail is very helpful.

By definition, h : S --> T
Therefore, [itex]h(s) \in T[/itex]
By definition of T, h(s) is a function [itex]I \to A_i[/itex]
h(s)(i) is, therefore, evaluating h(s) at i. (And [itex]h(s)(i) \in A_i[/itex])

Hurkyl said:
Function-valued functions can be confusing; I've always found that stepping through the notation in painstaking detail is very helpful.

By definition, h : S --> T
Therefore, [itex]h(s) \in T[/itex]
By definition of T, h(s) is a function [itex]I \to A_i[/itex]
h(s)(i) is, therefore, evaluating h(s) at i. (And [itex]h(s)(i) \in A_i[/itex])

Got it, thanks.

Related to Help w/ Proof in Category Theory

1. What is category theory?

Category theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the structure of mathematical objects and their relationships. It provides a formal language and framework for describing and analyzing mathematical concepts and their connections.

2. What is a proof in category theory?

A proof in category theory is a demonstration of the validity of a statement or theorem using the rules and axioms of category theory. It involves showing that a given statement follows logically from the definitions and properties of the objects and morphisms in a category.

3. What are the main components of a proof in category theory?

The main components of a proof in category theory include the statement or theorem being proven, the definitions and properties of the objects and morphisms involved, and the logical steps used to show the validity of the statement.

4. How does category theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Category theory provides a unifying framework that can be applied to many different areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, logic, and computer science. It allows for the abstraction and generalization of mathematical concepts, making connections between seemingly unrelated areas of mathematics.

5. What are some common applications of category theory?

Category theory has many applications in mathematics, computer science, and physics. It is used in the study of abstract algebraic structures, functional programming, database design, and quantum mechanics, among others. It also has practical applications in fields such as machine learning and data analysis.