HELP w/ coefficient of kinetic friction problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a Carolina Hurricanes player hitting a puck with his hockey stick, causing it to accelerate and eventually come to rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and the puck is unknown and the problem cannot be solved without it. However, a formula is provided that does not require the mass of the puck, and the coefficient of friction is determined to be 0.0617. The conversation also includes a discussion about normal force and the use of Newton's first law in solving the problem.
WCU
ok, i have a problem and w/o a given mass i am lost on how to solve it.

"What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and the puck in the problem above?"

problem above states, "A Carolina Hurricanes player hits a puck with his hockey stick during a practice, giving the puck an initial speed of 5.50m/s. The puck decelerates uniformly and comes to rest after traveling 25.0m. What is the rate of acceleration for the puck?"
-answer is 0.605m/s^2

Please Help Me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you draw yourself a free body diagram of the puck? Try to figure out what forces are working in the horizontal direction. And remember, F = ma.

yes, i am aware of that, but the MASS is UNKNOWN

if anyone knows an alternate formula (one that doesn't require mass) i would be most grateful

thanks for your help...

Last edited:
you don't need the mass

watch

now that you know the acceleration due to the friction (since the friction force stops it)

[tex] F = ma = \mu F_{n} = \mu mg [/tex]

where Fn is normal force of the puck and mu is the co efficient of friction.

thanks for the help, the formula makes sense, sorta, but i was never taught how to get the normal force without the mass, so I'm still lost, but not as lost

i do know the answer is 0.0617 ... i just don't know how to get there ...

WCU said:
thanks for the help, the formula makes sense, sorta, but i was never taught how to get the normal force without the mass, so I'm still lost, but not as lost

i do know the answer is 0.0617 ... i just don't know how to get there ...

normal force without mass?? come again??

in that equality i have simply used Newtons first law that F = ma and frictional force is F = mu Fn = mu mg and equated the two together and eliminate the mass factor

I thought m = mass... i need the coefficient of friction (u), and i don't have F, Fn, or m ... what units do i use? i feel like the answer is right in front of me and I'm just too blind to see it

ok realize this FOR ANY FORCE F = ma

secondly Force of friction = u Fn = u mg (because Force of friction is mg when there is no angle involved)

now use the first and second lines and you can equate ma = u mg

a = u g

u = a / g

so (0.605m/s^2)/(9.80m/s^2)=u=0.0617, which happens ot be the answer i was looking for.

thankyou so much

Related to HELP w/ coefficient of kinetic friction problem

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when there is relative motion between them. It is denoted by the symbol "μ" and has no units.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the contact surfaces). This can be represented by the equation μ = Fk/FN.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the types of materials in contact, the surface roughness, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. It also depends on the normal force and the velocity of the moving object.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction measures the amount of friction between two surfaces at rest, while the coefficient of kinetic friction measures the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically larger than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. Why is understanding the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

Understanding the coefficient of kinetic friction is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and material science. It allows us to predict the motion of objects and design structures and machines that can function efficiently. It also helps us understand the effects of friction on daily activities and how to reduce it for smoother and safer operations.