Help vectors year 1 Physics undergrad.

In summary, the maximum allowed weight of the unit hanging from a roof at a 35 degree angle above the horizontal is 348 N. This is found by using the cosine function and setting the perpendicular force to 425 N. However, it is important to note that the unit should not weigh less than the perpendicular force it exerts on the roof.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

a weight fastened to a roof 35 degrees above the horizontal, the weight is directed downward, in order that the unit not crush the roof tiles the component perpendicular to the roof can not exceed 425 N, What is the maximum allowed weight of the unit?

Homework Equations

Cos ... etc

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so let's name the force straight down which i will call W
the force perpendicular to the horizontal plane is 425 N i will call that J

so we find that angle between vector W and B is 35 degrees. so i use cos(35)=W/J
Jcos(35)=W
which means the force down is 348 N which issss... WRONG :( tips would be great i really don't understand this .

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a force diagram. You're basically on the right track but seem to have ended up with the "unit" weighing less than the perpendicular force it exerts on the roof! See if you can work out what's gone wrong.

Remember Cos is adjacent / hypoteneus. You may want to check your workings again

Related to Help vectors year 1 Physics undergrad.

1. What are help vectors in Physics?

Help vectors, also known as unit vectors, are used in physics to represent the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity. They have a magnitude of 1 and are used to break down a vector into its components.

2. How are help vectors used in Physics?

Help vectors are used in many areas of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. They are used to simplify complex vector calculations and make it easier to understand and visualize the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity.

3. Can you give an example of using help vectors in a Physics problem?

Sure! Let's say we have a force of 10 N acting on an object at a 30 degree angle from the x-axis. We can use a help vector, with a magnitude of 1, to represent the direction of the force. This help vector would have components of cos(30) and sin(30) in the x and y direction, respectively. We can then use these components to find the net force acting on the object.

4. Are help vectors important for understanding Physics concepts?

Yes, help vectors are crucial for understanding many physics concepts, especially when dealing with vector quantities. They allow us to break down and analyze complex vectors, making it easier to solve problems and understand physical phenomena.

5. Where can I find more information about help vectors in Physics?

There are many online resources and textbooks that cover the use of help vectors in physics. You can also consult with your physics professor or tutor for more information and practice problems to improve your understanding of help vectors.