Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Help us spread the word about MHB!

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hey everyone,

It's been a month or so since we started this place and it's in great shape just waiting for people to use it. We have been doing everything we can to submit the site to search engines and have created a Twitter account and a Facebook fan page. We need you guys to do something, anything you can to post something about MHB somewhere on the internet. The way Google ranks pages is largely related to how many links to the site exist and the quality of the pages that link to the site. All of the following ideas are free and take less than 5 minutes...

1) Follow our Twitter account
2) Like our Facebook fan page and make a status update about us
3) Write a short note in your blog
4) Hang a flyer (we are currently getting these finished and will upload soon as well)

Think of anything, no matter how small, you can do to tell just one person about MHB. One month ago we didn't exist on Google at all. Now when you search "free math help" we are around the 6th page. If we continue like this we should see a large influx of people but we need to get past the initial tipping point to start this process.

Jameson

Last edited:
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The new Facebook fan page is created but I need to wait for the old one to be fully deleted before posting the link. This morning we were on the 5th page for "free math help" on Google, but they customize the results to the user so I am interested in what you all find. The whole nature of search engine ranking has become so extreme the last few years that making the best site isn't enough to get to the top anymore. I have been reading and reading through this stuff trying to make sense of it but the real data as to what helps and what doesn't isn't there so it's a tough one. You guys just keep posting here and the Admins will figure out the rest. Just wanted to tell everyone that there is a lot going on behind the scenes everyday to make this place better and grow faster.

Jameson

springfan25

Mar 3, 2012
page 8 on google for me, couldn't see us anywhere on bing (checked first 15 pages).

search query used: "free math help".

i dont know anything about SEO, but a very easy way to get a lot of links to this site would be to put a link to it in your signiture on the other math help forum. This would generate 1 link for every post you ever made, which for most of us is about 1000 or so.

if i remember, there is an element of inheritance in google pagerank and links on mhf.com may be more valuable than elsewhere. OFC

, the owners of MHF may not appreciate the gesture!

Last edited:
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
That's not going to happen. Even if someone did use a link in their sig it wouldn't affect much on its own. Repeated links get counted once. We need an active mention on a site with good traffic. These are called backlinks and are huge right now in SEO. You can pay for someone to generate them but to get real ones is far more difficult and slower. We need to expand outside of our normal communication circles. Social media sites are an ok place to start as well as blogs or other forums, but we need a bigger kick than that. If anyone is interested in more details or might have some suggestions, let's talk about privately in a PM.

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
How is it listed on FB?
I need to have Chris look at it because I haven't used FB for a few years now and they just changed the fan page layout. I think tomorrow it will be ready to go and hopefully we can use Facebook to recruit members. It's also been discussed emailing (1) local schools around each of us, probably having a higher than usual success rate if we know someone there and eventually (2) mailing high school teachers as we find their emails. Flyers could help with this but it's faster to email naturally.

Right now we basically have one true link here that is not associated with the previous forum we all know. I won't name him/her without permission but it's attached to a popular .edu domain, which help more than many others. If we can get listed on a high school's or college's math department, that would help nicely as well. We have to create a niche within the niche of math help websites to stand out. There are quite a lot of smaller math forums that just don't make it to the top level and kind of stay under the radar. We're not going to be that kind of site.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have a personal twitter account that is followed by the MAA...so I decided to send a tweet to the MAA twitter page about our site:

@maanow A month ago, I started a website called @MathHelpBoards (mathhelpboards.com). Can you RT this to help spread the word about us?

Since they are followed by 4K+ people, it would be very good exposure if they did that for us (especially since their followers are math people)!!!! Since it's past midnight on the east coast now (it's only 21:33 in Santa Cruz right now), I would expect them to possibly respond sometime tomorrow morning. Here's to hoping they come through!!!!(Bigsmile)

Last edited:

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
can you make a flyier or a poster talking about the forum so i can put it in my university ?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
page 8 on google for me, couldn't see us anywhere on bing (checked first 15 pages).

search query used: "free math help".

i dont know anything about SEO, but a very easy way to get a lot of links to this site would be to put a link to it in your signiture on the other math help forum. This would generate 1 link for every post you ever made, which for most of us is about 1000 or so.

if i remember, there is an element of inheritance in google pagerank and links on mhf.com may be more valuable than elsewhere. OFC

, the owners of MHF may not appreciate the gesture!
Experience suggests that it will be removed as soon as it is noticed. Though you can still recreate it apparently, but I expect after a while you will either lose the ability to have links in your sig, or be banned.

CB

grgrsanjay

Jan 28, 2012
I searched 'Free Math Help' and i got it on 4th page