Help understanding Truss answer

• Thread starter NoobeAtPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the truss is suspended by two pin joints and each segment has a width of 3 m and height of 4 m. The applied force is 1 N and the question is asking for the force in member 2. By using the method of sections and taking the right portion, the sum of forces in the y direction can be calculated. The sum of forces is equal to 0 and the negative J_3 represents a compression force in member 3, which is necessary to counteract the downward force of F. By using the properties of a 3-4-5 right triangle, the compressive force in member 3 can be determined to be 1 N, which is the same as the applied force
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

The truss is suspended by two pin joints. Each segment is 3 m wide and 4 m high. The applied force is F = 1 N. What is the force in member 2?

joints2.63.gif

Homework Equations

Sum of force = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using method of sections (to get force at 3), so taking the right portion

I am trying to understand the sum of the force in the y direction of the section.

sum of force y of portion =0 =-1 - J_3 cos(180-arctan(3/4))

My question, do we use 180-angle when looking at the angle,

also is it negative J_3, since the J_3 is pointing downwards?

I already know that the answer is 1N, I just don't understand this part.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

I think you are looking for force in 3 by cutting right hand section thru 12,3, and 9? Forget about signs plus or minus from trig. You know that F acts down, so the vert force in 3 must act up, pushing in towards the member. Pushing forces are compression forces, usually designate as negative. Tension forces are positive. Use the properties of a 3-4-5 right triangle to get the compressive force in member 3.

Related to Help understanding Truss answer

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a type of structural framework that is commonly used in engineering and construction. It is made up of straight elements connected at joints, and is designed to distribute load and support weight.

2. How does a truss work?

A truss works by transferring forces from one point to another through the use of tension and compression. The individual elements of a truss are specifically arranged and connected in a way that allows them to work together to support a load.

3. What are the different types of trusses?

There are several different types of trusses, including triangular trusses, parallel chord trusses, and bowstring trusses. Each type has its own unique design and purpose, and is used in different situations depending on the specific structural needs.

4. How do I calculate the forces in a truss?

Calculating the forces in a truss can be done using various methods, such as the Method of Joints or the Method of Sections. These methods involve breaking down the truss into smaller, more manageable sections and applying equations to determine the forces at each joint or section.

5. What are some common applications of trusses?

Trusses are commonly used in buildings, bridges, and other structures where a strong and lightweight framework is needed. They are also used in various mechanical and aerospace applications, such as in the design of cranes, towers, and aircraft wings.