Help understanding the Voltage in a circuit.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage in a circuit and its relation to potential energy and charge. It explains how voltage is measured in a battery and how electrons move through a circuit, transforming potential energy. The speaker also acknowledges their lack of complete understanding but notes that they are able to accurately describe the behavior of electrons.
GuidedByEmojis
What is voltage in a circuit? We just started learning about electricity in my school. From what I understand; potential is potential energy per Coulomb and voltage means difference in potential. So, if you have a battery with 4 voltage and a wire connecting the poles of the battery, does that mean electrons at the negative pole will have a potential energy of 4∗q, where q is the charge of the electron? And when the electrons have reached the positive pole, all the potential energy will have been transformed?

I have a feeling I'm not understanding this concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello guided one, welcome to PF :smile: !

For someone who is just being introduced to the subject, you are doing just fine ! And you choose your formulations carefully and -- as far as I can tell -- completely correct.

And a feeling of not completely understanding isn't all that bad. Nobody knows what an electron is, and no one has ever seen one :rolleyes: but we can describe the behaviour of electrons to an impressive degree of accuracy.

Related to Help understanding the Voltage in a circuit.

1. What is voltage in a circuit?

Voltage, also known as electric potential difference, is the measure of the energy required to move an electric charge between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts and is represented by the symbol V.

2. How is voltage created in a circuit?

Voltage is created by a difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. This difference can be created by a power source, such as a battery or generator, which provides the energy for the electric charges to flow.

3. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the voltage in a circuit is directly proportional to the current and resistance. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, while an increase in resistance will lead to a decrease in current.

4. How is voltage measured in a circuit?

Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a type of electrical testing device. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points.

5. Why is understanding voltage important in circuit analysis?

Voltage is a crucial aspect of circuit analysis because it helps determine the behavior of electric charges in a circuit. It also allows us to calculate the power and energy in a circuit, which is essential for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.