Help Understanding something basic in probability.

• Thread starter Archive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, Probability is the measure of how likely something is, and division of probabilities is the process of dividing a number (like A/B) to find the probability of each outcome.
Archive
Can somebody explain to be in detail what division represents in probability. Like A/B. I know it sounds very basic, but I just don't understand it. The events and all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Archive said:
Can somebody explain to be in detail what division represents in probability. Like A/B. I know it sounds very basic, but I just don't understand it. The events and all.

I don't know how much detail you want. You can divide probabilities like any other numbers, but the result will not always be a probability (see likelihood). Formulas where division of probabilities are utilized are so constructed such that if the result is a probability, the values will always be 0< p< 1. (see Bayes Theorem). Beyond this, I can't give you general answer as to what the division of probabilities "represents". It depends on the context.

Last edited:
I think you need to be much more specific with your question. Division is just division, in probability or anything else. Maybe you're referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odds" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

Hi Archive! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Archive said:
Can somebody explain to be in detail what division represents in probability. Like A/B.

Do you mean A|B?

That's "the probability of A happening, given that B has happened" …

but it isn't division, in fact it isn't arithmetic at all. :smile:

I can think of:

1. division of probabilities as real numbers. This is associated with but not confined to conditional probabilities and Bayesian analysis, as noted above.
2. ratio of two random variables. For example you may be asked to derive the distribution of A/B, where each of A and B are random variables. This can be tricky; for example if the domains of both A and B include 0 then with some probability (> 0) the value of A/B will be indeterminate.

Last edited:
Hmmm, if it's not anything that anyone else has already suggested maybe you're referring to the difference (A\B) between sets A and B.

If that's the case, then it's not really division but more like subtraction with A\B being the set of all outcomes in A that are not in B, i.e. A ∖ B = A ∩ Bc (Bc being the complement of B). So if you were drawing out a Venn diagram of that, A \ B would be everything in the A circle except for where the A circle intersects the B circle.

I got it thanks guys, sorry for the vague question.

Related to Help Understanding something basic in probability.

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the probability of an event based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is the probability of an event based on actual observations and data collected from experiments or real-life situations.

3. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, the probability of rolling a 3 on a six-sided die would be 1/6.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event. Dependent events are events where the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other event.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in real life to make predictions, assess risks, and make informed decisions. It is used in fields such as statistics, finance, medicine, and sports to analyze data and make predictions about future events.