Help understanding phasor solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving drawing a phasor and calculating the inductance. The participants also question the accuracy of the given data and discuss the concept of an ideal inductor.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

From the given circuit and provided information draw a phasor and calculate the inductance.
IMG_2958.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
IMG_2959.JPG
IMG_2960.JPG
[/B]
The paper was given to me at class as a solution to our homework and i can't understand how they drew the phasor and drew the conclusion out of it.
I see that they took ##U_{12}## as their phasor axis since its the same for both sides but why do they draw the ##I_c## the way they did? How did they know that it goes up and how did they get the ##I_c/2## part?
The continuation of the left side of the third equation i do get but not the right side. Why is the right side like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the inductor were ideal (with R=0) then IC would lead I by 180°. If the inductance were zero, making it a simple parallel RC arrangement, then IC would lead I by 90°. So with both R and L then IC will lead I by some angle between those 2 extremes. That constrains the shape of triangle that you draw.

You also need to bring into the geometry the condition stated in your data of 2 currents having equal magnitude, viz., I = Ig

NascentOxygen said:
If the inductor were ideal (with R=0) then IC would lead I by 180°. g
Do you mean 90° ?

Numbskull said:
Do you mean 90° ?
No. I is the inductor current. Ic would lead U12 by 90° and if the inductor were ideal, inductor current I would lag behind U12 by 90°. This means Ic would lead I by 180°.

I believe that there is a flaw in the question as posed. Perhaps the angular frequency given is to high? If it is truly ##10^7 rad/sec## then the capacitor reactance is just 10 Ω. The real resistance of 100 Ω in the other branch will make it impossible for it to conduct a current with the same magnitude as the source current, even taking into account resonance effects. If I'm not mistaken the maximum magnitude for the current ##I## would be just 1 mA.

Related to Help understanding phasor solution

1. What is a phasor solution?

A phasor solution is a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal function that takes into account both the magnitude and phase of the signal. It is commonly used in electrical engineering and physics to simplify the analysis of AC circuits.

2. How is a phasor solution different from a regular sinusoidal function?

A regular sinusoidal function only represents the instantaneous values of the signal, whereas a phasor solution represents the amplitude and phase of the entire signal. This makes it easier to analyze and solve problems involving AC circuits.

3. What are the advantages of using phasor solutions?

Phasor solutions allow for simpler calculations and analysis of AC circuits compared to using regular sinusoidal functions. They also provide a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of AC circuits.

4. How do I convert a sinusoidal function to a phasor solution?

To convert a sinusoidal function to a phasor solution, you need to take the amplitude and phase of the signal and represent them using complex numbers. The amplitude becomes the magnitude of the complex number, while the phase becomes the angle of the complex number.

5. Can phasor solutions be used for non-sinusoidal signals?

No, phasor solutions are only applicable for sinusoidal signals. For non-sinusoidal signals, other mathematical techniques such as Fourier series or transforms are used for analysis.