Help understanding Partial Mutual Inductance

In summary, when calculating the inductance of a long transmission line, we first calculate the partial self inductance and then add the partial mutual inductance due to the current in the other conductors. When looking at a single-phase system, the partial inductance per unit of length of wire 1 is given by a specific equation. The mutual flux linkage is estimated as the flux going through the green area in the image, rather than the red area, to account for the mutual inductance of the two wires. This information can be found in the provided resource.
Frank Coutinho
I'm sure you are all familiar with calculating the inductance of a long transmission line.

We first calculate the partial self inductance and we add to the partial mutual inductance due to the current in the other conductors.

Looking at the image of a single-phase system, where I1 + I2 = 0.

Doubt_1.png

The partial inductance per unit of length of wire 1 is given by this equation:

Doubt_2.png

Here is my question:

Why do we estimate the MUTUAL flux linkage as the flux going through the GREEN area in the image and not the RED area?

I don't see how the flux outside both wires accounts for the mutual inductance of these two wires.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Help understanding Partial Mutual Inductance

1. What is partial mutual inductance?

Partial mutual inductance is a measure of the magnetic coupling between two conductors that are not completely aligned. It occurs when the magnetic field produced by one conductor passes through a portion of the other conductor, resulting in an induced voltage in the second conductor.

2. How is partial mutual inductance calculated?

Partial mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k * L1 * L2, where M is the partial mutual inductance, k is the coefficient of coupling, and L1 and L2 are the self-inductances of the two conductors. The coefficient of coupling is a measure of how well the magnetic field from one conductor links with the other conductor.

3. What is the difference between partial mutual inductance and mutual inductance?

Partial mutual inductance and mutual inductance both refer to the magnetic coupling between two conductors. However, partial mutual inductance only takes into account the portion of the magnetic field that passes through the other conductor, while mutual inductance considers the entire magnetic field produced by one conductor and its effect on the other conductor.

4. How does partial mutual inductance affect circuit performance?

Partial mutual inductance can affect circuit performance by inducing unwanted voltage in the second conductor, leading to interference or distortion of signals. It can also cause mutual inductance to vary with changes in the relative position or orientation of the conductors, which can impact the overall performance of the circuit.

5. How can partial mutual inductance be minimized?

Partial mutual inductance can be minimized by reducing the distance between the two conductors, increasing the distance between the conductors and any nearby conductive materials, and using shielding or isolation techniques. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also help minimize the effects of partial mutual inductance on circuit performance.