Help Understanding Limit Property Proof on Spivak's Calculus

In summary, the proof shows that if certain conditions are met, then the inequality |xy - x_0y_0| < ε is satisfied. The proof uses various steps, including using the fact that |x| < 1 + |x_0| and extending an inequality, to arrive at the final result.
alyks
Hi, I've been studying from Spivak's Calculus. Normally when I have trouble I can just search, but this time I can't find anything (you can tell how extensive this forum is in that I've been registered here for a while and this is my first post). On page 89, the book gives proof of the following:

If
[tex] |x - x_0| < \text{min} \left (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)}\right) [/tex] and [tex] |y - y_0| < \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)}[/tex]

Then

[tex] |xy - x_0y_0| < \epsilon [/tex]

The proof shows this:

1. Since [tex] |x-x_0| < 1 [/tex] we have [tex] |x| - |x_0| \leq |x-x_0| < 1 [/tex] so that [tex] |x| < 1 + |x_0| [/tex]

Thus,

2. [tex] |xy - x_0y_0| = |x(y-y_0) + y_0(x-x_0)| [/tex]
3. [tex]\leq |x| \cdot |y - y_0| + |y_0| \cdot (|x - x_0|) [/tex]
4. [tex]\leq (1 + |x_0|) \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)} + |y_0| \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)} = \frac{\epsilon}{2} + \frac{\epsilon}{2} [/tex]

Where I have a problem is in how he just assumes that [tex] \text{min} \left (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)}\right) [/tex] is 1, when I saw the minimum I would have thought you'd do a proof by cases.

Then later, I have a hard time understanding how he went from line 3 to line 4. If [tex] |x| < 1 + |x_0| [/tex] and [tex] |y - y_0| < \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)}[/tex], then only half of line four makes sense. Otherwise, I'm lost. Will anybody help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
He doesn't assume that [itex] \text{min} \left (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)}\right) [/itex] is 1. If epsilon is small enough, then clearly the minimum will not be 1. In any case, you'll save yourself a lot of confusion if you think of |x - a| < min(y,z) as simply stating that both |x-a| < y AND |x-a| < z are satisfied. In fact, look back at exercises 22-24 (or somewhere around there) of chapter 1; he states this reasoning explicitly. I'm not sure what's confusing about going from line 3 to 4... If you are wondering why there is an equals sign in line 4, I'm pretty sure that is a minor oversight. It should be a less than sign since |y_0| < |y_0| + 1.

Oh wow, it does save a lot of confusion with the min, I was thinking about it wrong.

alyks said:
Hi, I've been studying from Spivak's Calculus. Normally when I have trouble I can just search, but this time I can't find anything (you can tell how extensive this forum is in that I've been registered here for a while and this is my first post). On page 89, the book gives proof of the following:

If
[tex] |x - x_0| < \text{min} \left (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)}\right) [/tex] and [tex] |y - y_0| < \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)}[/tex]

Then

[tex] |xy - x_0y_0| < \epsilon [/tex]

The proof shows this:

1. Since [tex] |x-x_0| < 1 [/tex] we have [tex] |x| - |x_0| \leq |x-x_0| < 1 [/tex] so that [tex] |x| < 1 + |x_0| [/tex]

Thus,

2. [tex] |xy - x_0y_0| = |x(y-y_0) + y_0(x-x_0)| [/tex]
3. [tex]\leq |x| \cdot |y - y_0| + |y_0| \cdot (|x - x_0|) [/tex]
4. [tex]\leq (1 + |x_0|) \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)} + |y_0| \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)} = \frac{\epsilon}{2} + \frac{\epsilon}{2} [/tex]

Where I have a problem is in how he just assumes that [tex] \text{min} \left (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)}\right) [/tex] is 1, when I saw the minimum I would have thought you'd do a proof by cases.

Then later, I have a hard time understanding how he went from line 3 to line 4. If [tex] |x| < 1 + |x_0| [/tex] and [tex] |y - y_0| < \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)}[/tex], then only half of line four makes sense. Otherwise, I'm lost. Will anybody help me out?

1st of all No 4 is wrong,because :

[tex] (1 + |x_0|) \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)} + |y_0| \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)} [/tex]

IT is not equal to ε/2 + ε/2,

but :

[tex] (1 + |x_0|) \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)} + (|y_0|+1) \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)} [/tex] it is equal to ε/2 +ε/2

So you have to extend No 3 inequality and :

3. [tex]\leq |x| \cdot |y - y_0| + |y_0| \cdot (|x - x_0|) [/tex] [tex]\leq |x| \cdot |y - y_0| + (|y_0|+1) \cdot (|x - x_0|) [/tex].

Then :

Implies that:

1) [tex] |x-x_{o}|\leq 1[/tex] which implies that: [tex]|x|\leq |x_{o}| +1[/tex]

AND

2) [tex] |x-x_{o}|\leq\frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_{o}|+1)}[/tex]
AND

3) [tex] |y-y_{o}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_{o}|+1)}[/tex]

AND using (1) (2) and (3) we have :

[tex] |xy-x_{o}y_{o}|\leq |x| \cdot |y - y_0| + (|y_0|+1) \cdot (|x - x_0|)<(1 + |x_0|) \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0| + 1)} + (|y_0|+1) \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{2(|y_0| + 1)}= \frac{\epsilon}{2}+\frac{\epsilon}{2} = \epsilon [/tex]

Related to Help Understanding Limit Property Proof on Spivak's Calculus

1. What is the limit property in calculus?

The limit property in calculus states that as the input of a function approaches a certain value, the output of the function also approaches a specific value. In other words, the limit of a function is the value that the function "approaches" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. Why is it important to understand the limit property in calculus?

Understanding the limit property is crucial in calculus because it allows us to make precise calculations and predictions about the behavior of functions. It also helps us understand the concept of continuity and allows us to solve more complex problems in calculus.

3. What proof is used to demonstrate the limit property in calculus?

The proof used to demonstrate the limit property in calculus is often referred to as the "epsilon-delta" proof. This proof involves using the concept of an arbitrary small number (epsilon) and showing that for any input value within a certain distance (delta) of the limit, the output value will also be within a certain distance of the limit.

4. How does Spivak's calculus textbook explain the limit property?

In Spivak's calculus textbook, the limit property is explained through a rigorous and mathematical approach. The textbook provides step-by-step explanations and proofs of the limit property, as well as multiple examples and exercises to help solidify understanding.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the limit property in calculus?

One common misconception about the limit property in calculus is that it is the same as the value of the function at the limit point. However, the limit is the value that the function approaches, not necessarily the value it takes on at that specific point. Another misconception is that the limit is always a finite number, when in fact, the limit can also be infinite or undefined in some cases.