How do I solve the integral of exp(-x^2) between -a and a?

• Thread starter Swiss Army
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: I'm not sure how to do in an integral the likes of \int\frac{v^2}{e^v^2}, or \intv^2e^-v^2 for that matter.
Swiss Army
Could someone show me how the integral of f(v) equals 1, where f(v) is

(4/(Sqrt Pi)) x (m/2kT)^(3/2) x (v^2) x (e^(-mv^2/2kT))

I got through the integral and it didn't equal 1, but it's supposed to, so could someone help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show us what you have done so far?

And what is the region of integration?

Ooops, sorry. The integration is from zero to infinity. I'll type in what I've done so far if someone can tell me how to get the integral and various other mathematical characters in the post, it's much easier that way. But so far my methods have included substitution, integration by parts, and taking the limit of the function.

Swiss Army said:
Ooops, sorry. The integration is from zero to infinity. I'll type in what I've done so far if someone can tell me how to get the integral and various other mathematical characters in the post, it's much easier that way. But so far my methods have included substitution, integration by parts, and taking the limit of the function.

Look here: https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

Or go to this thread and click on various examples and the code will pop up in a small window so you see how it is done: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

you should be able to get the indefinate integral using integration by parts. use v^2 = du and e^(-mv^2/2kt) = v. Than in the new integral you create, you can substitute e^u and it should work out fine (in other words, do integration by parts and than use substitution). Whenever you have a parametre for an integral as an infinite, you have to take the limit of the integral as it approaches that infinite. For example, in this case you would have to than show that (lim x--> infinite of F(x)) - F(0) = 1 (thats what you do when you have infinite parameters for integration). Try it out and see what you get.

hmmm...

Yeah, those were the methods that I used to integrate it, integration by parts, substitution, and taking the limit. I talked to my Calculus 3 teacher yesterday about it, and she said it was something like a complex integral where you can't just solve it using those methods...or something like that.

when you do integration by parts you will obtain a new integral that you have to solve. This [unless I am mistaken] can be solved using substitution. Altho you may have to do integration by parts again (i suspect you would)

Last edited:
Yeah .. it seems that way.

I tried to use IBP & substitution.

I assume k, m, T, & [tex]\pi[/tex] are constants.

Then I get:

[tex]\frac{4m^\frac{3}{2}}{\sqrt{\pi}(2kT)^\frac{3}{2}e^\frac{m}{2kT}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{v^2}{e^v^2}dv[/tex]

I'm not sure how to do in an integral the likes of [itex]\int\frac{v^2}{e^v^2}[/itex], or [itex]\intv^2e^-v^2[/itex] for that matter.

With substitution of [itex]u=v^2[/itex], I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{u^\frac{1}{2}}{e^u}du[/tex]

Last edited:
NSX said:
Yeah .. it seems that way.

I tried to use IBP & substitution.

I assume k, m, T, & [tex]\pi[/tex] are constants.

Then I get:

[tex]\frac{4m^\frac{3}{2}}{\sqrt{\pi}(2kT)^\frac{3}{2}e^\frac{m}{2kT}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{v^2}{e^v^2}[/tex]

I'm not sure how to do in an integral the likes of [itex]\int\frac{v^2}{e^v^2}[/itex], or [itex]\intv^2e^-v^2[/itex] for that matter.

With substitution of [itex]u=v^2[/itex], I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{u^\frac{1}{2}}{e^u}du[/tex]

Maybe I'm just more tired than i tihnk, but with that substitution i believe you should get:

[tex]

\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{u}{e^u}du

[/tex]

You are tired.

cookiemonster

Huh? Makes no sense..

cookiemonster said:
You are tired.

cookiemonster

oh...yeah...i didn't change the varible of integration, i left it [tex] dv [/tex] even though i typed [tex] du [/tex]. So yeah, disregard that post then.

edit: actually he never put the [tex] dv [/tex] up there, so I'm assuming that was my error.

yay! problem solved..

Ebolamonk3y said:
yay! problem solved..

Just the roblem of my mistakes when sleep-deprived. Oh well...i suppose i could go actually try to solve it now...here i go

Dun try now... get sleep and then try. :)

actually i think it can't be solved analytically...integration by parts fails, given that [tex] \frac{1}{e^x^2} [/tex] cannot be integrated. So...i can't seem to come up with any standard single variable calculus techniques that would help...so yeah, sleep first, boggle later.

The thing is, the integral of the whole expression is supposed to divide out to 1. The integral is supposed to end up being the inverse of the constant you pull out when you integrate, giving you a 1/1 or 1 answer. This suggests that standard integration techniques won't work, because the when you integrate, you have to end up with the Sqrt( Pi ) / 4 in the answer to cancel out the 4/Sqrt ( Pi ) in the constant.

Mathematica?
Matlab?

haha

But like you said in your post, if you require concepts from Calc III, it's beyond what I can do.

This integral can be done the same way that the integral of exp(-x2) can be done. First, write the integral of x2exp(-x2) from zero to infinity. Then write the integral of y2exp(-y2) from zero to infinity (they're both exactly the same as your integral). Now multiply the integrands together double integrate over x and y. When you convert to polar coordinates, you will get an integral that can be done by parts. Just don't forget to take the square root at the end.

Note:

x2y2=r4sin2(θ)cos2(θ)
x2+y2=r2
dx dy=rdr dθ

Hello!

Sorry to hash up this very old thread, but I need help with this exact problem and I don't understand the solution given.

I'm trying to find the integral of x2exp(-x2 / a2) from -infinity to infinity.

I've done what's recommended here, but I end up with a double integral of 1/4 sin2(2θ) r5 exp[-r2] drdθ from zero to infinity and zero to infinity. How do I solve this?

Morto said:
Hello!

Sorry to hash up this very old thread, but I need help with this exact problem and I don't understand the solution given.

I'm trying to find the integral of x2exp(-x2 / a2) from -infinity to infinity.

I've done what's recommended here, but I end up with a double integral of 1/4 sin2(2θ) r5 exp[-r2] drdθ from zero to infinity and zero to infinity. How do I solve this?

Well, what is recommended here is not really what I would recommend :smile:

This problem is actually so simple that you can do it all in your head.

First step: Recall that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-x^{2}\right)dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Second step: The integral of [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-a x^{2}\right)dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex] . Substitute [tex]x=\frac{y}{\sqrt{a}}[/tex] in this integral to see this.

Third step: Differentiate both sides w.r.t. a. This will bring down a factor [tex]x^{2}[/tex] in the integrand.

Fourth step: replace [tex]a\longrightarrow \frac{1}{a^{2}}[/tex]

hey.. i really need some immediate help to solve the integral exp(-x^2) between the limits -a and a.. is it an underterminable integral?

1. What is the general method for solving this integral?

The general method for solving this integral is by using the Gaussian integral formula, which states that ∫exp(-x^2)dx = √π.

2. Can the integral be solved using substitution?

No, the integral exp(-x^2) cannot be solved using substitution because there is no algebraic expression that would allow for a substitution to be made.

3. Is there a specific technique for solving this integral?

Yes, the most common technique for solving this integral is the Gaussian integral formula. However, other techniques such as integration by parts or using the error function can also be used.

4. How does the value of a affect the solution of this integral?

The value of a does not affect the solution of this integral. The answer will always be √π, regardless of the value of a.

5. Can this integral be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, this integral can be solved using numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule. However, these methods may not provide an exact solution, but rather an approximation.