Help understanding genetic algorithms please

• Thread starter wasi-uz-zaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithms
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Genetic Algorithms and the speaker's difficulties in understanding the evolution of fitness function. They request for help and the other person asks for more specific information. They mention that genetic algorithms have three main components: generating new solution vectors, using a fitness function to score them, and selecting the top solutions. The process is repeated until certain criteria are met.
wasi-uz-zaman
TL;DR Summary
HELLO, i have started working on Genetic Algorithm , i have studied evloution of fitness function, but i really could not get it. please help me in this regard
wasi
HELLO, i have started working on Genetic Algorithm , i have studied evloution of fitness function, but i really could not get it. please help me in this regard
wasi

Technology news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with this subject, but I think it would be helpful if you were more specific about what you are doing. There are several books on the subject. Are you reading a particular book on programming genetic algorithms? Do you have a particular program in some language that is not working? What is going wrong?

Genetic algorithms have three parts:
- generate a new set of possible solution vectors from the existing set mating two or more solution vectors to make a new one
- using the fitness function to score each solution vector
- selecting those solution vectors with scores over a certain threshold value or by selecting the top N solutions and discarding the rest

And then repeat the process until some criteria like all scores are about the same or the pool of solutions gets too small.

Related to Help understanding genetic algorithms please

1. What are genetic algorithms?

Genetic algorithms are a type of artificial intelligence that is inspired by the process of natural selection. They use a combination of random selection, mutation, and crossover to find the optimal solution to a given problem.

2. How do genetic algorithms work?

Genetic algorithms start with a population of randomly generated solutions to a problem. These solutions are then evaluated and the fittest individuals are selected to reproduce, passing on their genetic information. The process of selection, reproduction, and mutation is repeated over multiple generations until the best solution is found.

3. What are the advantages of using genetic algorithms?

Genetic algorithms can be used to solve complex problems that would be difficult for traditional algorithms or humans to solve. They are also able to find optimal solutions without prior knowledge of the problem domain. Additionally, they can handle a wide range of problem types and can continue to improve solutions over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of genetic algorithms?

Genetic algorithms have been used in a variety of fields, including finance, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include optimizing stock portfolios, designing efficient computer networks, and improving machine learning algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to genetic algorithms?

While genetic algorithms can be very effective, they also have some limitations. They may require a large number of iterations to find the best solution, and the fitness function used to evaluate solutions must be carefully designed. Additionally, they may struggle with highly complex or multi-modal problems.