Help Understanding Dirac Equation in Notes

In summary, there is a question about the Dirac equation and the notes provided. The equation 4.115 is causing confusion with the notation and the square root of a matrix. The person suggests looking for a derivation in other books such as Gross F. Relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory or D.J.Griffiths' Introduction to Particle Physics.
latentcorpse
I have a very simple question about the Dirac equation that I just cannot see the answer to.

In these notes:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf

In equation 4.115, I keep getting

[itex]u( \vec{p} ) = \begin{pmatrix} \sqrt{p \cdot \sigma} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \\ \sqrt{ p \cdot \bar{\sigma}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \sqrt{E - p \sigma^3} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \\ \sqrt{E + p \sigma^3} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So why does [itex]p^3 = p \sigma^3[/itex] or is there a typo?

I would have thought that since [itex]p^\mu = ( E,0,0,p)[/itex], we should get [itex]p^3=p[/itex], no?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's something dubious about this guy's notation. What's the sqrt of a matrix equal to ? I would reccomend you find a derivation of the free-particle solution in any other book.

Check Gross F. Relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory (Wiley, 1999)(635s), Page 123 or D.J.Griffiths' Introduction to Particle Physics text.

Last edited:

Related to Help Understanding Dirac Equation in Notes

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles with spin in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 and is considered to be one of the most important equations in physics.

2. Why is the Dirac equation important?

The Dirac equation is important because it successfully combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity, providing a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles with spin. It also predicted the existence of antimatter, which was confirmed by experiments later on.

3. What are the main components of the Dirac equation?

The main components of the Dirac equation are the wave function, which describes the state of a particle, and the Hamiltonian operator, which gives information about the energy of the particle. It also includes the Dirac matrices, which are a set of four mathematical matrices that represent the spin and momentum of the particle.

4. How is the Dirac equation different from other quantum equations?

The Dirac equation is different from other quantum equations because it takes into account special relativity, which means it can be used to describe particles with high speeds. It also includes spin, which is a fundamental property of particles that is not accounted for in other equations.

5. What are some applications of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation has many applications in physics, including in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. It has also been used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in high-energy experiments, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider.