Help with 45° Physics Homework Problem: Kate's Dilemma

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a 10 kg lawn spreader and a force being applied at a 45 degree angle to accelerate the spreader from rest to 1.39 m/s/s in 1.5 seconds. The conversation also touches on the units of acceleration and the direction of motion in relation to the applied force.
Kate
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I'm taking honors Physics this year and I'm not sure of what I'm doing in this homework problem...

"Joe pushes on the handle of a 10 kg lawn spreader. The handle makes a 45 degree angle with the horizontal. Joe wishes to accelerate the spreader from rest to 1.39 m/s/s in 1.5 seconds. What force must Joe apply to the handle? Neglect friction."

I've done part of it but I'm not sure whether its right...
F= (10 kg)(1.39 m/s/s)
F= 13.9 N
But where does the 45 degrees come in? Am I completely off track?

Thank you,
Kate

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm... meter / sec^2 are units of acceleration not velocity.
Remember that the force is applied at an angle, thus
having two abvious parts you can divide it into, advisably
in accordance with the direction of motion. :wink:

Thanks

Ohh I see. I didn't realize it was that easy haha. Thanks a lot
Kate

1. What is the problem that Kate is facing in this physics homework?

Kate is facing a dilemma in her physics homework where she must calculate the distance and time it takes for a ball to roll down a ramp at a 45° angle.

2. How do you approach solving this problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to use the formula for distance, d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. You will also need to use the formula for velocity, v = gt, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What information do we need to know in order to solve this problem?

We need to know the angle of the ramp (45°), the height of the ramp, and the initial velocity of the ball.

4. Can you provide an example of how to solve this problem?

Sure, for example, if the ramp is 2 meters high and the initial velocity of the ball is 3 m/s, then the distance it will travel is d = vt = (3 m/s)(0.707 s) = 2.121 m. The time it takes for the ball to reach the bottom of the ramp is t = √(2h/g) = √(2(2 m)/(9.8 m/s²)) = 0.707 s.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the outcome of this problem?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the outcome of this problem, such as air resistance and the surface of the ramp (e.g. friction). However, for the purposes of this problem, we will assume that these factors are negligible.