Help - spiking sediment with known concentration of sulphide

In summary: It is possible that the sulfide is diluted by the buffer.In summary, the sulfide concentration is doubled when the sediment is spiked with the buffer in equal volume compared to when the sediment is spiked with the buffer in 1:1 volume.
Sediment Slayer
I need some assistance. I am truly missing something very fundamental.

Background: I have a sodium sulphide stock solution with the conc. of 0.0429M. I prepare five standards through serial dilution (10,000; 5,000; 1,000; 500; 100uM). Buffer is added in a 1:1 with the standard - the standards are used to calibrate a ion-selective electrode. Once the electrode is calibrated I use it to determine the concentration of sulphide in sediment whereby each sample is prepared with buffer in a 1:1 manner (i.e. 30ml sediment + 30ml buffer). None of this is the issue...

So, here is my problem. I want to spike sediment containing 0uM sulphide with 5,000uM using my stock solution (0.0429M).

Here is my attempt at the calculation:
X-mL = ((desired spike conc.)(vol. of sediment))/(conc. of sodium sulphide stock sol'n)
X-mL = ((5,000uM)(30mL))/(0.0429M) = 3.50ml

When I spike my sediment sample (30mL) with the buffer (30mL) with 3.50mL of the sodium sulphide stock solution the concentration is double (10,000uM) than what it should be - 5,000uM.

If I add 1.75ml of the stock solution to 30mL sediment + 30mL buffer I get the desired answer - 5,000uM.

Should I add 3.50mL of buffer when I add 3.50mL of stock to the 30ml sediment + 30ml buffer or is my calculation incorrect?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have problems following what you do.

Is your sediment a slurry? How do you measure 30 mL? What part of these 30 mL is a solid?

Hi Borek -

The sediment is collected with minimal pore water. Since sediment is not created equal in terms of size and dimension, the recognized protocol is to standardize the sediment by volume. It is collected in syringes at a volume of 30 ml.

I believe the issue may lie in the fact the buffer is added to the standards in equal volume for calibration but the buffer is not added at 3.50ml when I spike the sediment with 3.50ml of stock solution.

Thank you for your reply.

First thing first - the final concentration of sulfide should be calculated using volume of the solvent, not volume of the solvent plus the solid, as teh latter doesn't dilute the sulfide.

If you get the sulfide concentration twice as large as expected, it could mean your sediment is 50/50 solid and a liquid, so the sulfide is in fact diluted not by 30 mL, but by 15 mL.

I am not saying that's it - it is just a first thing that comes to mind.

I did test out that theory, Borek. When I added 30ml of buffer to 30ml of sediment the volume was 55ml. So yes, the sediment does contain interstitial spaces which is filled by the buffer. Still doesn't account for the concentration being double. Sigh.

I don't mean interstitial spaces.

Imagine you have a 15 mL stone (spherical solid to make things easier) in 15 mL of water. Total volume is 30 mL, but when you add 3.5 mL of the 0.0429 M sulfide stock solution final concentration of the sulfide is not 0.00448 M as expected (with the final volume being 33.5 mL) but 0.00812 M (because the sulfide was actually diluted to 18.5 mL).

Unfortunately my issue is the opposite. I have double the amount of sulphide rather than half than expected.

Isn't it what happens in the model I have described? The real 0.00812 M is almost twice as large as expected 0.00448 M.

Related to Help - spiking sediment with known concentration of sulphide

1. What is the purpose of spiking sediment with a known concentration of sulphide?

The purpose of spiking sediment with a known concentration of sulphide is to introduce a controlled amount of sulphide into the sediment sample for research or testing purposes. This allows scientists to study the effects of sulphide on sediment and its potential impact on the environment.

2. How is the known concentration of sulphide determined for spiking sediment?

The known concentration of sulphide is determined through laboratory analysis. A known amount of sulphide is added to a known volume of water and mixed with the sediment sample. The concentration of sulphide in the water is then measured, and this value is used to calculate the concentration of sulphide in the sediment sample.

3. What are the potential risks associated with spiking sediment with sulphide?

The potential risks of spiking sediment with sulphide depend on the concentration used and the type of sediment being spiked. High concentrations of sulphide can be toxic to aquatic organisms and can also cause changes in the chemical composition of the sediment. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate concentrations when spiking sediment with sulphide.

4. How is the spiked sediment used in research or testing?

The spiked sediment can be used in various research or testing applications, such as studying the effects of sulphide on sediment microbial communities or evaluating the potential for sulphide release from contaminated sediment. It can also be used to calibrate instruments for sulphide detection or to compare with natural sediment samples for baseline measurements.

5. Are there any alternative methods to spiking sediment with sulphide?

Yes, there are alternative methods for introducing sulphide into sediment samples, such as using natural sediment samples that already contain sulphide or creating a sulphide solution and adding it directly to the sediment. However, spiking sediment with a known concentration of sulphide is often preferred for its accuracy and control over the amount of sulphide added.