HELP Specific Homework Problem, Particles and Waves

In summary, a probability of 1.0 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0.0 means that the event will never occur. In the given example, the probability of an event occurring is calculated to be 0.35, or 35%, based on 420 successful events out of 1200 attempts. When tossing a balanced coin, the probability of throwing a "tail" is 50%, as demonstrated by a 100 toss experiment.
tmy0221
I have read the entire chapter in my book and have searched the internet and I still have no idea where to even begin. HELP!

4. a.) Explain the significance of a probability of 1.0 and of a probability of 0.0.

b.) Calculate the probability for an event to occur if 420 events have been recorded as successful for 1200 attempts.

c.) Find the probability of throwing a "tail" if your tossing a balanced coin.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmy0221 said:
I have read the entire chapter in my book and have searched the internet and I still have no idea where to even begin. HELP!

4. a.) Explain the significance of a probability of 1.0 and of a probability of 0.0.

b.) Calculate the probability for an event to occur if 420 events have been recorded as successful for 1200 attempts.

c.) Find the probability of throwing a "tail" if your tossing a balanced coin.

What can you say about 4a) ? If the probability is 1, what % of the time will something happen? If it's 0, what % of the time will something happen?

On c), what is the probability of heads or tails when you toss a coin? If you're not sure, try it. Toss the coin 100 times -- what percentage of the time is it tails?

Related to HELP Specific Homework Problem, Particles and Waves

1. What are particles and waves?

Particles and waves are two fundamental concepts in physics. Particles refer to tiny, discrete units of matter, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Waves, on the other hand, refer to disturbances or vibrations that propagate through a medium or space. These can take various forms, such as electromagnetic waves or sound waves.

2. How do particles and waves interact?

Particles and waves can interact with each other in various ways. For example, particles can behave as waves, exhibiting properties such as diffraction and interference. Conversely, waves can also behave as particles, a phenomenon known as wave-particle duality. This interaction is described by the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How are particles and waves related to each other?

Particles and waves are related through the concept of energy. According to the wave-particle duality, particles can also exhibit wave-like behavior and have associated wavelengths. The energy of a particle is directly related to its wavelength, with higher energy particles having shorter wavelengths and vice versa.

4. What is the role of particles and waves in the study of matter?

Particles and waves play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of matter. The behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, as well as the interactions between them, can be explained through the principles of quantum mechanics. Waves, on the other hand, can help explain macroscopic properties of matter, such as sound and light.

5. Can you give an example of how particles and waves are used in technology?

Particles and waves have many practical applications in technology. For instance, the principles of wave-particle duality are utilized in the development of technologies such as electron microscopy and particle accelerators. Waves are also used in various forms of communication, including radio waves, microwaves, and optical fibers.