Help Sort My Confusion on dH, TdS and dQ

In summary: This means, that with the heat flow \delta Q, the enthalpy H changes according to dH=\delta Q. The enthalpy is the appropriate energy for a process at constant pressure. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between changes in internal energy, enthalpy, and Gibbs free energy in a chemical reaction under constant temperature and pressure conditions. It is important to note that for a reaction taking place, the changes in these quantities will depend on the state of the products and the reaction temperature. Additionally, the heat flow is equal to the change in enthalpy, and enthalpy is the appropriate energy for a process at constant pressure.
calculus_jy
I would like to know if someone here can help sort out my confusion...

It is easy to derive that
dU=TdS-pdV (no particle exchange)

Then enthalpy H=U+pV

will imply dH=TdS+Vdp

That means under a constant temperature (dT=0) and constant pressure (dp=0) situation

dH=TdS>(=) dQ

Why is it then that if we look at [tex] C_6 H_{12} +6O_2 + 6O_2\rightarrow O_2+6H_2O[/tex]
[tex] \Delta H=-2803kJ/mol [/tex]
[tex] \Delta G=-2879kJ/mol [/tex]
[tex] T\Delta S=77.2 kJ/mol [/tex]

(all above data are obtained at constant temperature and pressure)

now WHy is it that [tex] \Delta H =/= T\Delta S [/tex]...
but that [tex] \Delta G= \Delta H- T\Delta S [/tex] which i know will hold generally but should reduce to [tex] \Delta G= 0 [/tex] under (dT=0, dp=0) when no other work done excluding expansion work...

I thought that [tex] \Delta H [/tex] should be the heat flow in a constant temperature and pressure process...
but in this case why is the heat flow [tex] T\Delta S=77.2 kJ/mol [/tex] instead...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

calculus_jy said:
I would like to know if someone here can help sort out my confusion...

It is easy to derive that
dU=TdS-pdV (no particle exchange)

... and no chemical reaction. What is the definition of quantities like [tex]\Delta H[/tex]?

"... and no chemical reaction. "

why is that...
H=U+PV
[tex]\Delta H=T\Delta S+V \Delta p[/tex]?

[tex]\Delta[/tex] does not mean difference, here but [tex] \Delta X=\sum_i \nu_i \partial X /\partial n_i|_{p,T}[/tex], for an arbitrary quantity X where [tex]n_i[/tex] is the amount of reactant i and [tex] \nu_i [/tex] is the stochiometric coefficient in the reaction equation, e.g. 6 for H20 and -1 for C6H12 in the reaction you consider.
You have to start from the general equation
[tex]
dU=TdS-pdV+\sum_i \mu_i dn_i[/tex].
When all changes of n_i are due to one chemical reaction taking place, this can be written as:

[tex] dU=TdS -pdV +\Delta G d\xi [/tex]
where [tex] d\xi=dn_i/\nu_i[/tex] is the change of reaction number.
The [tex]\Delta G[/tex] follows from [tex] \mu_i=\partial U/\partial n_i|_{V,S}=\partial G/\partial n_i|_{p,T}[/tex].
Now with U, S and V being considered as depending on variables T, p and [tex]\xi[/tex],
we obtain:
[tex] \Delta U=\partial U/\partial \xi|_{p,T}=T \Delta S -p\Delta V +\Delta G[/tex] or
[tex] \Delta G =\Delta U+p\Delta V -T\Delta S=\Delta H-T\Delta S[/tex] .

Hello, calculus_jnr.

Whenever you quote figures such as you have done you should always also state the reaction temperature.

This is particularly important in this case as one of the products is water.
Depending upon the final state of the products, (ie temperature) you may need to allow for latent heat in your calculations.

Also I suppose that the values of [tex] \Delta H[/tex], [tex]\Delta G[/tex] etc refer to standard conditions where the concentrations (or better activities) are 1 mol/l and partial pressure is 1 atm. This does not correspond to chemical equilibrium whence [tex]\Delta G \ne 0[/tex].

A small point first.

T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S is energy flow, not heat flow

In your reaction the LHS has 13 molecules aand the RHS has 7. So there is a definite entropy change.

As I said previously the actual change will also depend upon the state of the reaction products.

Studiot said:
A small point first.

T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S is energy flow, not heat flow

In your reaction the LHS has 13 molecules aand the RHS has 7. So there is a definite entropy change.

As I said previously the actual change will also depend upon the state of the reaction products.

Whatever flow T[tex]\Delta[/tex]S is, it is not heat flow, as you said.
[tex] \delta Q+\delta W=dU=TdS -pdV+\Delta G d\xi[/tex]
If T=const, p=const then [tex] dS(T,P,\xi)=\Delta S d\xi[/tex].
If furthermore
[tex]\delta W=-pdV [/tex]
then
[tex] \delta Q =dU+pdV=dH=TdS+\Delta G d\xi=T\Delta S d\xi +(\Delta H -T\Delta S)d\xi=\Delta H d\xi.[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Help Sort My Confusion on dH, TdS and dQ

1. What is the difference between dH, TdS, and dQ?

dH, TdS, and dQ are all terms used in thermodynamics to describe different properties of a system. dH refers to the change in enthalpy, which is the total energy of a system. TdS refers to the change in the product of temperature and entropy, and is known as the Gibbs free energy. dQ refers to the change in heat, which is the transfer of energy between a system and its surroundings.

2. How are dH, TdS, and dQ related to each other?

The relationship between dH, TdS, and dQ is given by the equation dH = TdS + dQ. This is known as the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What do dH, TdS, and dQ represent in a thermodynamic process?

dH, TdS, and dQ represent the changes in enthalpy, Gibbs free energy, and heat, respectively, during a thermodynamic process. They are used to quantify the energy changes that occur in a system as it undergoes a specific transformation.

4. How do dH, TdS, and dQ affect the spontaneity of a process?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, for a process to be spontaneous, the total change in Gibbs free energy (TdS) must be negative. This means that the system will decrease in energy and increase in entropy, resulting in a more stable state. However, the change in enthalpy (dH) and heat (dQ) can also affect the spontaneity of a process, as they contribute to the overall energy of the system.

5. Can dH, TdS, and dQ be measured directly?

No, dH, TdS, and dQ cannot be measured directly. Instead, they are calculated using thermodynamic equations and experimental data such as temperature, pressure, and volume. These values are then used to determine the energy changes that occur in a system during a thermodynamic process.