Help Solving Motorcycle Braking Problem | Reaction Time, Acceleration, Distance

In summary, the problem involves a motorcyclist who sees an obstacle and comes to a complete stop. Given information includes the reaction time (0.8 seconds), acceleration once started braking (-6.5 meters/second^2), and total distance traveled (35 meters) from initial sighting to complete stop. The goal is to find the initial velocity and time from when the motorcyclist started braking to when they stopped. To solve this problem, one must use equations of motion and set the stopping distance equal to the sum of the distance traveled during the reaction time and braking. From there, the initial velocity can be calculated.
ConnorPhys
A motorcyclist sees an obstacle and comes to a complete stop. Given are reaction time (0.8seconds), acceleration once started braking (-6.5meters/seconds^2), and total distance traveled (35meters) from initial sighting to complete stop. Solve to find initial velocity and time from when he started braking to when he stopped.

I can't figure out a single formula to use that will help me find one of the unknowns and solve the problem! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You must know some equations relating to uniform acceleration. (The acronym SUVAT is often used.)

ConnorPhys said:
A motorcyclist sees an obstacle and comes to a complete stop. Given are reaction time (0.8seconds), acceleration once started braking (-6.5meters/seconds^2), and total distance traveled (35meters) from initial sighting to complete stop. Solve to find initial velocity and time from when he started braking to when he stopped.

I can't figure out a single formula to use that will help me find one of the unknowns and solve the problem! Please help!
Neither can I ! Certainly not until I have first condensed the wordy problem sentences into a familiar mathematical form, e.g.,

vf = 0 m/sec
reaction time t = 0.8 secs
total distance d = 35m

vi = ?? m/sec

That done, the next step is to write down all the equations of motion that you know. Then go through them one by one, ticking off the variables you know or need, until you have highlighted by multiple ticks some likely candidates to use for solving this.

Suppose you did know the speed of the motor cyclist. call it v. Could you compute the distance traveled during the reaction time, and the distance traveled when breaking?
Set the stopping distance equal to the sum of those two distances and solve for v.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known variables and their corresponding units. In this case, we know the reaction time is 0.8 seconds, the acceleration is -6.5 meters/seconds^2, and the total distance traveled is 35 meters.

Next, I would use the known equation for distance (d = 0.5at^2 + vt) to solve for the initial velocity (v) and time (t) from when the motorcyclist started braking to when they stopped. This equation can be rearranged to solve for v and t as follows:

v = (d - 0.5at^2)/t

t = √(2d/a)

Plugging in the known values, we get:

v = (35m - 0.5(-6.5m/s^2)(0.8s)^2)/(0.8s) = 7.8m/s

t = √(2(35m)/-6.5m/s^2) = 2.7s

Therefore, the initial velocity of the motorcyclist before braking was 7.8m/s and it took them 2.7 seconds to come to a complete stop.

In conclusion, by using the known equations and values, we were able to solve for the initial velocity and time from when the motorcyclist started braking to when they stopped. It is important to carefully identify and use the appropriate equations in order to accurately solve scientific problems.

Related to Help Solving Motorcycle Braking Problem | Reaction Time, Acceleration, Distance

1. How does reaction time affect motorcycle braking?

Reaction time is a crucial factor in motorcycle braking. The longer the reaction time, the longer it takes for the rider to apply the brakes, resulting in a longer stopping distance. This can be dangerous, especially in emergency situations.

2. What is the role of acceleration in motorcycle braking?

Acceleration plays a key role in motorcycle braking because it determines how quickly the motorcycle can decelerate. A higher acceleration allows the motorcycle to slow down faster, resulting in a shorter stopping distance.

3. How does the weight of the motorcycle affect braking?

The weight of the motorcycle has a significant impact on braking. A heavier motorcycle requires more force to slow down, resulting in a longer stopping distance. It is important for riders to be aware of their motorcycle's weight and adjust their braking accordingly.

4. Why is it important to maintain a safe following distance while riding a motorcycle?

Maintaining a safe following distance is crucial for motorcycle riders because it allows them to have enough time and space to react and brake in case of an emergency. Following too closely can increase the risk of collisions and make it difficult to come to a stop in time.

5. Can motorcycle braking performance be improved?

Yes, motorcycle braking performance can be improved through regular maintenance of the brakes and tires, as well as by practicing proper braking techniques. Additionally, installing advanced braking systems and using high-quality brake pads can also improve braking performance.