Help solving for 3 equations and 3 unknowns

• Thread starter skybox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, to solve the given equation for P_{1} and P_{2}, you need to use algebraic manipulation and substitute P_{1} and P_{2} into the third equation to find the value of \lambda. Then, use this value to solve for P_{1} and P_{2}. Alternatively, you can use Matlab to solve the equation.
skybox

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation for [itex]P_{1}[/itex] and [itex]P_{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]7.0+0.004P_{1}-\lambda(1-0.0004P_{1})=0[/itex]
[itex]7.0+0.004P_{2}-\lambda=0[/itex]
[itex]P_{1}+P_{2}-500-0.0002P_{1}^{2}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having some issues on ways to solve this problem. I guess the main point I am stuck on is how do I even approach it?

I have three unknowns [itex]P_{1}, P_{2}, \lambda[/itex] and three equations, so I should be able to solve for [itex]P_{1}, P_{2} [/itex].

The example shows that the solutions are:
[itex]P_{1}=178.882 , P_{2}=327.496[/itex].

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My first suggestion would be to give some equations. You've given 3 expressions, which don't appear to equate to anything.

oay said:
My first suggestion would be to give some equations. You've given 3 expressions, which don't appear to equate to anything.
Woops. Updated. All expressions equal 0

skybox said:
Woops. Updated. All expressions equal 0
That's better! :smile:

How are you with algebraic manipulation?

The first equation gives you [itex]P_1[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex], and the second gives [itex]P_2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Plug them both into the third equation and you find the value of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Use this value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] to find the values of [itex]P_1[/itex] and [itex]P_2[/itex].

Job done! :smile:

oay said:
That's better! :smile:

How are you with algebraic manipulation?

The first equation gives you [itex]P_1[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex], and the second gives [itex]P_2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Plug them both into the third equation and you find the value of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Use this value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] to find the values of [itex]P_1[/itex] and [itex]P_2[/itex].

Job done! :smile:

Thanks for the help. This is becoming a very complicated solution :S Will just use Matlab to solve!

Related to Help solving for 3 equations and 3 unknowns

What is the process for solving 3 equations and 3 unknowns?

The process for solving 3 equations and 3 unknowns is to first identify the equations and variables involved. Then, use algebraic manipulation and substitution to simplify the equations and solve for one variable at a time. Finally, plug the solved variables back into the original equations to check for consistency.

Can you provide an example of solving 3 equations and 3 unknowns?

Yes, for example, let's say we have the following equations:
x + y + z = 10
2x + 3y - z = 5
x - 2y + 3z = 12
To solve for x, we can use substitution and solve for x in terms of y and z in the first equation. Then, we can substitute that value into the other two equations to solve for y and z. Finally, we can plug the values for x, y, and z back into the original equations to check for consistency.

What should I do if I encounter inconsistent or no solutions?

If you encounter inconsistent or no solutions while solving for 3 equations and 3 unknowns, it could mean that the system of equations is inconsistent or there are multiple solutions. In this case, it is important to double-check your work and make sure there are no errors in your calculations. If the problem persists, you may need to use different methods of solving or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving 3 equations and 3 unknowns?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving 3 equations and 3 unknowns include incorrect algebraic manipulation, making errors in substitution, and forgetting to check for consistency after solving for the variables. It is also important to carefully track your steps and use proper notation to avoid confusion.

What are some tips for solving 3 equations and 3 unknowns efficiently?

To solve 3 equations and 3 unknowns efficiently, it is helpful to first identify any equations that can be easily solved for one variable. It is also important to keep track of your steps and use proper notation to avoid confusion. Additionally, using a graphing calculator or online solver can also help speed up the process.