Help Solving an Equation: Step by Step Guide

• MHB
  • Thread starter Bonhovis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with rearranging and solving an equation. They have made some progress but are stuck on the squaring step. Another person explains the correct formula and how it is commonly mistaken for "the Freshman's Dream." The person seeking help understands and is grateful for the explanation.
Bonhovis
Hi all, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. I've been trying to rearrange this equation and solve it for \(\displaystyle x\) but as hard as I try, I just can't fathom how to do it.

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2+16}=x+(n+\frac{1}{2})\lambda\)

I know what the equation needs be at the end, but it's all of the steps in between that escape me. If any can shed some light and run me through step by step, I'd be extremely grateful.

This is the rearranged equation:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{16-{(n+\frac{1}{2})}^{2}\lambda^2}{2(n+\frac{1}{2})\lambda}\)

Kind regards.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start by squaring both sides...

Sorry, I should've said that I've already got that far, moved the last \(\displaystyle x^2\) to the other side, but that's about as far as I am.

Squaring both sides as suggested, you should get:

\(\displaystyle x^2+16=x^2+2x\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda+\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\lambda^2\)

Then, if we subtract $x^2$ from both sides, we have:

\(\displaystyle 16=2x\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda+\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\lambda^2\)

Can you proceed?

Many thanks for all your help. That's great, I understand it from where you left it, and how it rearranges into the final equation. The part that actually confuses me is the squaring step. I'm not sure if I understand the rules regarding the squaring the right side of the equation. Why does the right side end up with \(\displaystyle 2x\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda\) in addition to \(\displaystyle x^2\) and \(\displaystyle \left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\lambda^2\)?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question. Kind regards.

Bonhovis said:
Many thanks for all your help. That's great, I understand it from where you left it, and how it rearranges into the final equation. The part that actually confuses me is the squaring step. I'm not sure if I understand the rules regarding the squaring the right side of the equation. Why does the right side end up with \(\displaystyle 2x\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda\) in addition to \(\displaystyle x^2\) and \(\displaystyle \left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\lambda^2\)?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question. Kind regards.

It is essentially an application of the formula:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\)

Now, many beginning algebra students think the following is true:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)^2=a^2+b^2\)

This is such a commonly made mistake, it is referred to as "The Freshman's Dream."

Try it with some numbers though...here is the correct formula:

\(\displaystyle (3+4)^2=3^2+2\cdot3\cdot4+4^2\)

\(\displaystyle 7^2=9+24+16\)

\(\displaystyle 49=49\)

Here is "The Freshman's Dream:

\(\displaystyle (3+4)^2=3^2+4^2\)

\(\displaystyle 7^2=9+16\)

\(\displaystyle 49=25\)

Seems "The Freshman's Dream" is incorrect. :D

You can see where the correct formula comes from by FOILing:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)^2=(a+b)(a+b)=a^2+ab+ab+b^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\)

Thank you Mark! That makes perfect sense :) It looks like I was stuck in "the Freshman's dream!"

Related to Help Solving an Equation: Step by Step Guide

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It consists of two sides, the left side and the right side, separated by an equal sign (=).

2. Why do I need to solve equations?

Solving equations is important in order to find the value of unknown quantities. This is especially useful in real-life situations where we may need to find a missing value or solve a problem.

3. What are the steps to solving an equation?

The first step is to simplify both sides of the equation by combining like terms. The next step is to isolate the variable by using inverse operations on both sides. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. What are inverse operations?

Inverse operations are operations that "undo" each other. For example, addition and subtraction are inverse operations, as well as multiplication and division. Using inverse operations is crucial in isolating the variable in an equation.

5. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if both sides of the equation are equal. If they are, then your solution is correct. It's also a good idea to check your work for any errors or mistakes that may have been made during the solving process.