Help Solve FORTRAN Post Newtonian Gravity Simulation

In summary, the speaker has been working on creating a code in FORTRAN to simulate gravity. They have successfully implemented Newtonian gravity and are now working on implementing General Relativity through the Post Newtonian Expansion. They have been self-taught and have relied on internet resources, but have encountered an error in their calculations and are seeking assistance. They also acknowledge that their code is not yet optimized and they plan to work on that after getting it to work correctly.
goalie39
Hi all:

In my free time, I've been playing with creating a code to help do toy simulations of gravity in my personal code of choice, FORTRAN. The first step was to get Newtonian gravity up and running and this has been pretty successful so far and I've been able to implement about 4 different integrators to play and test with. My next step is to try to get General Relativity going via the Post Newtonian Expansion.

I'm all self taught in this area, so I've been leaning on what I could find by scouring the internet. I found, what seemed to be, a fairly straight forward way to implement this in my code (see the attached image), however, somewhere I've gone wrong and I'm about 2 orders of magnitude off in my calculation. The source of this is here, a website that seems to be dead these days.

I've been staring at this quite a bit and I'm thinking that there has to be something simple I'm just not catching. My hunch is that someone who knows what they're doing might be able to look at it and understand my error fairly quickly. If anyone has the time to read through the attached code, I'd truly appreciate the assistance.

PS - I realize that things are definitely not optimized yet. I'd like to get it working and then focus on making it fast.

Thanks everyone.

Code:
DYDT%DDY = 0D0
DYDT%DDZ = 0D0
C1(:)    = 0D0
C2(:)    = 0D0
C3(:)    = 0D0
A10(:)   = 0D0
A1       = 0D0
X_I      = BODIES(BODY)%MYPOSITION(1)
Y_I      = BODIES(BODY)%MYPOSITION(2)
Z_I      = BODIES(BODY)%MYPOSITION(3)
VX_I     = BODIES(BODY)%VELOCITY(1)
VY_I     = BODIES(BODY)%VELOCITY(2)
VZ_I     = BODIES(BODY)%VELOCITY(3)
AX_I     = BODIES(BODY)%ACCELERATION(1)
AY_I     = BODIES(BODY)%ACCELERATION(2)
AZ_I     = BODIES(BODY)%ACCELERATION(3)
M        = BODIES(BODY)%MASS
BETA  = 1D0
GAMMA = 1D0

A2 = 0D0
DO K = 1,NBODIES
    IF(K.EQ.BODY)CYCLE
    DX2 = BODIES(K)%MYPOSITION(1) - X_I
    DY2 = BODIES(K)%MYPOSITION(2) - Y_I
    DZ2 = BODIES(K)%MYPOSITION(3) - Z_I
    A2 = A2 + (G_C*BODIES(K)%MASS) / ((DX2*DX2+DY2*DY2+DZ2*DZ2)**(0.5D0))
ENDDO
A2 = 2D0*(BETA+GAMMA)*A2

DO J = 1,NBODIES
    IF(J.EQ.BODY)CYCLE

X_J  = BODIES(J)%MYPOSITION(1)
    Y_J  = BODIES(J)%MYPOSITION(2)
    Z_J  = BODIES(J)%MYPOSITION(3)
    VX_J = BODIES(J)%VELOCITY(1)
    VY_J = BODIES(J)%VELOCITY(2)
    VZ_J = BODIES(J)%VELOCITY(3)
    AX_J = BODIES(J)%ACCELERATION(1)
    AY_J = BODIES(J)%ACCELERATION(2)
    AZ_J = BODIES(J)%ACCELERATION(3)
    M_J  = BODIES(J)%MASS

!...Distance between bodies
    DX = X_J - X_I
    DY = Y_J - Y_I
    DZ = Z_J - Z_I

A1 = A1 + (G_C*M_J) / ((DX*DX+DY*DY+DZ*DZ)**(1.5D0))

A3 = 0D0
    DO K = 1,NBODIES
        IF(K.EQ.J)CYCLE
        DX2 = BODIES(K)%MYPOSITION(1) - X_J
        DY2 = BODIES(K)%MYPOSITION(2) - Y_J
        DZ2 = BODIES(K)%MYPOSITION(3) - Z_J
        A3 = A3 + (G_C*BODIES(K)%MASS) / ((DX2*DX2+DY2*DY2+DZ2*DZ2)**(0.5D0))
    ENDDO
    A3 = (2D0*BETA-1D0)*A3

!...Sum of square velocities
    A5 = GAMMA*(VX_I*VX_I+VY_I*VY_I+VZ_I*VZ_I)

!...Sum of square velocities - Sum of product of velocities
    A6 = (1D0+GAMMA)*((VX_J*VX_J+VY_J*VY_J+VZ_J*VZ_J) - & 
                 2D0*(VX_I*VX_J-VY_I*VY_J-VZ_I*VZ_J))

!...DX*Velocity Term / Square distance
    A7 = 1.5D0*((-DX*VX_J-DY*VY_J-DZ*VX_J)**2D0  &
             /  (DX*DX+DY*DY+DZ*DZ))

!...DX*Acceleration Term * DX
    A8 = 0.5D0*(DX*AX_J+DY*AY_J+DZ*AZ_J)

!...DX * GAMMA * Velocity
    A9 = (DX*(2D0+2D0*GAMMA)*VX_I - (1D0+2D0*GAMMA)*VX_J) + &
         (DY*(2D0+2D0*GAMMA)*VY_I - (1D0+2D0*GAMMA)*VY_J) + &
         (DZ*(2D0+2D0*GAMMA)*VZ_I - (1D0+2D0*GAMMA)*VZ_J) 

A10(1) = A10(1) + (G_C*M_J*AX_J)/((DX*DX+DY*DY+DZ*DZ)**(0.5D0))
    A10(2) = A10(2) + (G_C*M_J*AY_J)/((DX*DX+DY*DY+DZ*DZ)**(0.5D0))
    A10(3) = A10(3) + (G_C*M_J*AZ_J)/((DX*DX+DY*DY+DZ*DZ)**(0.5D0))

!...Combination of terms
    C1(1)  = C1(1) + ( ( C*C - A2 - A3 + A5 + A6 - A7 + A8 )* DX ) + A9 * (VX_I - VX_J)
    C1(2)  = C1(2) + ( ( C*C - A2 - A3 + A5 + A6 - A7 + A8 )* DY ) + A9 * (VY_I - VY_J)
    C1(3)  = C1(3) + ( ( C*C - A2 - A3 + A5 + A6 - A7 + A8 )* DZ ) + A9 * (VZ_I - VZ_J)

ENDDO

DYDT%DDX = ((A1*C1(1)) + 0.5D0*(3D0+4D0*GAMMA)*A10(1))/(C*C)
DYDT%DDY = ((A1*C1(2)) + 0.5D0*(3D0+4D0*GAMMA)*A10(2))/(C*C)
DYDT%DDZ = ((A1*C1(3)) + 0.5D0*(3D0+4D0*GAMMA)*A10(3))/(C*C)

Attachments

• gr.png
    gr.png
    19 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
My apologies, I guess this should have gone in the homework area. If someone could move it, I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the confusion.

goalie39 said:
I guess this should have gone in the homework area.

Not really, since it's not a homework problem, it's just something you're doing in your free time.

However, I'm not sure how many FORTRAN coders there are here, so you might not get much useful input.

Related to Help Solve FORTRAN Post Newtonian Gravity Simulation

1. What is FORTRAN?

FORTRAN (short for Formula Translation) is a programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for numerical and scientific computing. It was developed in the 1950s and is still used today for its efficiency and performance in handling complex mathematical calculations.

2. What is Post-Newtonian Gravity Simulation?

Post-Newtonian Gravity Simulation is a computational approach used to study the dynamics of celestial bodies, taking into account the effects of general relativity. It involves solving a set of differential equations derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity to model the gravitational interactions between objects in space.

3. How does FORTRAN help in solving Post-Newtonian Gravity Simulation?

FORTRAN is a high-level programming language that is well-suited for computationally intensive tasks, making it ideal for solving complex mathematical equations involved in Post-Newtonian Gravity Simulation. Its efficient handling of numerical calculations and ability to work with large datasets make it a valuable tool in this field.

4. What are the benefits of using a simulation approach for studying gravity?

Simulation approaches, such as Post-Newtonian Gravity Simulation, allow scientists to study and predict the behavior of celestial bodies in a controlled environment. This can help in understanding the complex dynamics of gravity and its effects on the universe, as well as providing insights into potential future events or scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to using FORTRAN for Post-Newtonian Gravity Simulation?

While FORTRAN is a powerful and widely used language for scientific computing, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is its lack of support for modern programming paradigms, such as object-oriented programming. This can make it more challenging to work with complex and evolving simulation models.

Back