Help Reviewing for exam (continued)

• Thread starter fball558
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball attached to a string and swinging in a vertical plane. The question is what the tension will be in the string when the ball reaches the lowest point of its trajectory. The correct answer is C) 3mg, which is found by considering the potential and kinetic energy of the ball, as well as the forces acting on it, including gravity and centripetal force. The conversation also mentions the mistake of only calculating the centripetal force and not taking into account the other forces.
fball558
problem is
A ball of mass m is attached to a string of length R such that it is free to
swing in the vertical plane. The ball is released from the initial position “A” shown in the
picture. What is the tension in the string when the ball reaches the lowest point “B” of its
trajectory?
A. mg
B. 2mg
C. 3mg (correct answer)
D. mg/R
E. mg2/R

here is my best attempt to deminstrate the pic to you.

--------------------(A) point A inital point connected by string starting at origin (R)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
(B) point B final point and want to know tension here

ball travels in arc pattern from A to B not

Physics news on Phys.org
fball558 said:
problem is
A ball of mass m is attached to a string of length R such that it is free to
swing in the vertical plane. The ball is released from the initial position “A” shown in the
picture. What is the tension in the string when the ball reaches the lowest point “B” of its
trajectory?
A. mg
B. 2mg
C. 3mg (correct answer)
D. mg/R
E. mg2/R

here is my best attempt to deminstrate the pic to you.

--------------------(A) point A inital point connected by string starting at origin (R)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
(B) point B final point and want to know tension here

ball travels in arc pattern from A to B not

Consider the potential energy, changing to kinetic energy and what the corresponding centripetal acceleration at that speed plus its weight will be at the bottom.

we have not covered centripetal acceleration. only thing we have done is centripetal force so i don't know how that corresponds to speed.

fball558 said:
we have not covered centripetal acceleration. only thing we have done is centripetal force so i don't know how that corresponds to speed.

Centripetal force. Right. Use that.

i get 2mg doing this here are my steps
first centripital force = (mV^2)/r
PE = mgh where h is r (at point A)
so KE = 1/2mv^2
set PE = KE mgr = 1/2mv^2 solve for v^2 to plug in centripital
multiply each side by 2 to get 2mgr = mv^2
divide my m to get v^2 = 2mgr/m m's cancel to get 2gr (this is v^2)
put this (2gr) into centripital force (mv^2)/r you get m(2gr) / r r's cancel
you get m(2g) or 2mg
answer B which according to solutions guide is wrong did i do something wrong in these steps??

ok, that is correct for calculating the centripetal force acting on the object, the only thing is that you need to understand the forces acting on the object when it is at the bottom of its swing and how they relate to Tension.

in this case:

Tension = Fgravity + Fcentripetal

from here, you just have to plug in your values that you have solved and you should get 'C' for the answer

ok so then
tension = Fcent + Fg
tension = 2mg + mg
which would = 3mg
then that matches C
i got a little too excited after i found
Fcent and stopped there lol
thanks to all that helped
it really cleared it up for me

Related to Help Reviewing for exam (continued)

1. What are the best study techniques for reviewing for an exam?

Some effective study techniques for reviewing for an exam include creating flashcards, summarizing notes, practicing with past exams or practice questions, teaching the material to someone else, and taking regular breaks while studying.

2. How can I stay motivated while reviewing for an exam?

To stay motivated while reviewing for an exam, set specific and achievable goals, reward yourself for meeting those goals, create a study schedule and stick to it, and remind yourself of the benefits of doing well on the exam.

3. How far in advance should I start reviewing for an exam?

It is recommended to start reviewing for an exam at least a week in advance, but ideally, you should begin reviewing as soon as you receive the exam date or as soon as the material is taught.

4. Should I study alone or with a group for an exam?

The best way to study for an exam depends on your learning style. Some people may benefit from studying alone, while others may find studying in a group more effective. It can also be helpful to combine both methods by studying alone first and then reviewing with a group.

5. How can I effectively manage my time while reviewing for an exam?

To effectively manage your time while reviewing for an exam, prioritize your studying based on the material that you are least familiar with, create a study schedule, break down larger tasks into smaller ones, and eliminate distractions such as social media or television.