Help required for Directional derivatives

• Thread starter hivesaeed4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the directional derivative of f(x,y) with respect to u=i-j is equal to -sqrt(2) + sqrt(2). The mistake in the calculation process was that u should have been a unit vector instead of a regular vector. The unit vector of u is necessary for finding the directional derivative.
hivesaeed4
f=9-x^2-y^2 and u=i-j
The directional derivative comes out to be Du f(x,y)=-sqrt(2)+sqrt(2)

I'm going to find the directional derivative and could someone kindly point out the mistake because I am getting a different answer and it's important I understand how to do this question:

Du f(x,y) is simply the ∇f.u (note u is a vector)

Now ∇f=-2xi-2yj and ∇f.u=(-2xi-2yj).(i-j) = -2x+2y. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi hivesaeed4! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
hivesaeed4 said:
Du f(x,y) is simply the ∇f.u (note u is a vector)

no, u must be the unit vector :wink:

I hope this doesn't sound stupid but does u always have to be a unit vector. The reason I'm asking is that this is the first time I've heard of it having to be a unit vector.

So instead of having taken the dot product of u and del of f in the above example I should have taken the dot product of del of f and the unit vector of u.

Right?

yup! :biggrin:

Thanks alot, tiny-tim.

Related to Help required for Directional derivatives

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It is used to determine how a function changes along a given vector.

How is a directional derivative calculated?

A directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector in the desired direction.

What is the significance of directional derivatives?

Directional derivatives are important in the field of calculus and optimization as they help us understand the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. They are also used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of vector fields.

What is the difference between a directional derivative and a partial derivative?

A directional derivative measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while a partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable.

How are directional derivatives used in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics, to analyze the behavior of functions in specific directions. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.