Help request with complex conductivity

In summary: These are all good questions!The primary mechanism of absorption is charge carrier oscillation. This process leads to the absorption of a photon and the release of a Joule heat.
swooshfactory
Hi,

I'm hoping to achieve some intuition regarding the real and imaginary parts of the complex conductivity. The rule of thumb seems to be that the real part is due to the absorptive/dissipative processes and the imaginary part absorbs no work (over a time average).

However, I feel like this doesn't quite explain everything. QUESTION 1. For instance, what exactly is absorption? At low frequencies (compared with the scattering rate) the real part of the conductivity dominates in the Drude model. In this case the light is mostly reflected (this is why metals are shiny). However, in a superconductor or perfect conductor, the light is completely reflected. I've seen a proportionality of the absorption coefficient to the real part of the conductivity. QUESTION 2: Is this proportionality always true (σ1 ~ alpha), and if so how can one interpret it? There is also the conservation of energy equation R + T + A = 1. This is why I'm having trouble with the distinction between absorption and reflection. It seems that in the metal, the light is absorbed (just as it would be for an interband transition), the electron is promoted to a higher energy state i.e. it is oscillated, and then the oscillating electron produces radiation. QUESTION 3: But if this (reflection from a metal) is a real part of the conductivity process, then how can I understand a superconductor, which is a perfect reflector but has essentially entirely an imaginary part of the conductivity? It also temporarily "absorbs" light (via charge carrier oscillation) before emitting it back towards the source. QUESTION 4: Is absorption mainly due to Joule heating and interband transitions, which by integrating F dx over a current oscillation can be shown to be due to σ1?

If anyone can address these conceptual issues I have and/or could provide intuitive ways to think about the complex conductivity (especially in terms of solid state physics) I would be REALLY grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, reflectivity may seem confusing. Reflectivity can be related to conductivity via the Fresnel equations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations as the index of refraction can be related to conductivity via [itex]n^2=i\sigma/\omega[/itex]. Inside a metal, due to reflection, the electric field is very small whence there is little energy dispersion as Ohmian currents are also small despite the conductivity not being small.

Qualitatively, when is a reflectivity process called absorption? Is there a straight-forward answer?

Err, never. You correctly observed that R+T+A=1.
To obtain the amount of radiation absorbed it is not enought to know some material parameter but you have to solve the electrodynamic problem.

Is absorption of a photon by an atom that promotes an electron to an excited state a sigma1 process? If so, why is it classified as dissipation? Is it that the atom reradiates the photon and it's eventually turned into heat?

Related to Help request with complex conductivity

1. What is complex conductivity?

Complex conductivity is a measure of how easily a material can conduct electricity, taking into account both the magnitude and phase of the electrical current. It is represented by a complex number, with the real part representing the electrical conductance and the imaginary part representing the capacitance.

2. How is complex conductivity different from regular conductivity?

Regular conductivity, also known as electrical conductivity, only takes into account the magnitude of the electrical current. Complex conductivity, on the other hand, also considers the phase of the current, which is important for materials that have both resistive and capacitive properties.

3. What is the importance of understanding complex conductivity?

Understanding complex conductivity is crucial in many scientific fields, such as materials science, geophysics, and biomedical engineering. It allows for the characterization of materials and their electrical properties, which can help with the design of electronic devices, detection of subsurface structures, and monitoring of biological processes.

4. How is complex conductivity measured?

Complex conductivity is typically measured using a technique called electrical impedance spectroscopy (EIS). This involves applying a small alternating current to a material and measuring the resulting voltage. The ratio of voltage to current gives the complex impedance, from which the complex conductivity can be calculated.

5. How can complex conductivity be used in practical applications?

Complex conductivity has a wide range of practical applications, including in the development of new materials for electronic devices, in the exploration and mapping of underground structures, and in the detection and monitoring of biological processes. It can also be used to study the behavior of materials under different environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.