HELP reading oscilloscope diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the size and frequency of a DC and AC signal from two different channels using an oscilloscope. Additionally, it mentions briefly describing an example of combining oscillations or waves with multiple frequencies. The conversation also includes a demonstration of how to calculate the peak-to-peak voltage and period of a waveform using the vertical and horizontal scales on the oscilloscope.
Atlaπtis

Homework Statement

I have to answer questions 1 - estimate the size (in volts) of the DC signal from CH1
and 2-estimate the peak-to-peak voltage AC signal of CH2, then find it's period and frequency
And then I'm supposed to 'briefly describe a simple example in which oscillations or waves with two or more frequencies are combined"
I don't know how to work out 1 and 2 from the diagram, I don't understand the scaling of the side to work out where each of them is.
And with the briefly describe part, is that just referring to how when you put two waves together with different frequencies, the amplitudes of each of them are added together to form a new wave-like shape?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/ValaRayne/IMG-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't read the figures on your diagram, but maybe you can practice on this one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/Oscilloscope%20screen.PNG

If you know the vertical sensitivity is as shown, 0.2 volts per division, can you see that this waveform would have an amplitude of about 0.56 volts? (ie -0.28 to +0.28.)
This is the peak to peak voltage.

On the horizontal scale, each division is 10 microseconds (uS).
One full wave of the sinewave input occupies from 8 to 113 uS, so the period is 113 - 8 or 105 uS.
This means the waveform has a frequency of 1000000 / 105 or 9523 Hz.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to HELP reading oscilloscope diagram

1. How do I read an oscilloscope diagram?

To read an oscilloscope diagram, first identify the x-axis and y-axis. The x-axis represents time, while the y-axis represents voltage. Next, locate the trigger point, which is the point at which the waveform starts. Then, read the waveform from left to right, noting the peaks and valleys of the signal. Finally, determine the amplitude and frequency of the waveform based on the scale of the axes.

2. What is the purpose of an oscilloscope diagram?

The main purpose of an oscilloscope diagram is to visually represent electrical signals over time. It allows scientists and engineers to analyze and measure the characteristics of a signal, such as its amplitude, frequency, and distortion. It is a valuable tool in troubleshooting and diagnosing electronic circuits and equipment.

3. How do I adjust the settings on an oscilloscope to get a clear reading?

To get a clear reading on an oscilloscope, you can adjust the vertical and horizontal scales, also known as volts per division and seconds per division, respectively. This allows you to zoom in or out on the waveform to get a better view. You can also adjust the trigger level, which determines the point at which the waveform is triggered and displayed on the screen.

4. What is the difference between an analog and digital oscilloscope?

An analog oscilloscope displays signals as a continuous waveform, while a digital oscilloscope samples the signal at regular intervals and displays it as a series of discrete data points. Digital oscilloscopes also offer more advanced features, such as storage, measurement capabilities, and waveform analysis tools. However, analog oscilloscopes are often preferred for their ability to display rapid changes in a signal more accurately.

5. Can I use an oscilloscope to measure other types of signals besides electrical signals?

No, an oscilloscope is designed specifically for measuring electrical signals. It works by converting the voltage of a signal into a visual representation, which is not possible for other types of signals such as sound or light. However, there are other types of equipment that can measure and display these signals, such as a sound level meter or a spectrophotometer.