Help Quickly: Solve Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Problem

• Thread starter Port
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a block being pushed along the ceiling. The person asking for help provides their calculations but got the wrong answer. Another person points out that the numbers in the problem seem off and suggests accounting for gravity. The first person realizes their mistake and the conversation ends with them trying to figure out how to account for gravity in their calculations.
Port
Help quickly please

I need help on this and quick!:
A 4kg block is pushed alomng the ceiling with a constant apllied force of 85N that acts at an angle of 55 degrees with the horizontal. The block accelerates to the right at 6m/s^2. detremine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ceiling.

ok i worked out the problem but i got the wrong answer. the values i got are: for normal force=69.62N. for ap=12.19. for af=6.19. for Ff=24.8N final answer=.356 and i need .816 what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the numbers in the text of the problem.That block should be flying...

Daniel.

what do u mean the numbers in the problem are right?

Port said:
what do u mean the numbers in the problem are right?

1.U double posted.Two threads on the same problem.It's not fair...
2.Yes,by the looks of it,the normal force should be zero and the body should raise from the ground...

Daniel.

Dex, its being pushed agaisnt the ceiling...

wait but why if someone is pushing it on the ceiling? ur confusing me!

OOHHHH I know, we forgot to account gravity, get the normal force, subtract or add gravity, I am to tired to think, and then divide by Ff! see which one works

Yapper said:
Dex, its being pushed agaisnt the ceiling...

Sorry,didn't read that part. :mad: You're right...It doesn't fly away...

Daniel.

wait what? how do i add or subtract gravity?

Read the other thread Port.

Related to Help Quickly: Solve Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Problem

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion. It is denoted by the symbol μk and has no units.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be found by measuring the angle of incline of an object on a ramp and using the formula μk = tanθ.

3. What are the factors that affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force applied to the object. It also depends on the temperature and the presence of any lubricants.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the motion of an object?

The coefficient of kinetic friction determines the amount of force that needs to be applied to an object to keep it in motion. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means a greater force is needed to overcome the friction and keep the object moving.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the two surfaces, making the surfaces smoother, or by reducing the normal force between the surfaces. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of kinetic friction can also decrease the overall friction between two surfaces.