Help please -- What is a Rayleigh? How do I work with it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of a quantity in Rayleighs to dB, with the given equation for the Intensity Reflection Coefficient R. The individual seeking help has tried searching online and consulting instructor notes, but still needs clarification on the conversion. A potential explanation is that they may be asked to find the dB above 1R.
andryd9

Homework Statement

I have a quantity in Rayleighs and need to convert it to dB.

Homework Equations

Intensity Reflection Coefficient R=5.625 x 10^-1 Rayls. dB?

The Attempt at a Solution

None so far-please advise.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try google here. There is no obvious connection between rayleighs and dB.

Thanks- already tried that. Also have instructor notes so I see how to handle it, but not why.

It would also help if you posted the text of whatever problem you are trying to solve.

andryd9 said:

Homework Statement

I have a quantity in Rayleighs and need to convert it to dB.

Homework Equations

Intensity Reflection Coefficient R=5.625 x 10^-1 Rayls. dB?

The Attempt at a Solution

None so far-please advise.
Thanks.

The Rayleigh is a unit related to light flux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_(unit)

dB is a relative measure. Maybe they are asking for dB above 1R in this context?

Related to Help please -- What is a Rayleigh? How do I work with it?

1. What is a Rayleigh?

A Rayleigh is a unit of measurement used to describe the scattering of light or other electromagnetic radiation. It is named after John William Strutt, also known as Lord Rayleigh, who first described the phenomenon.

2. How is a Rayleigh used in science?

In science, a Rayleigh is often used to describe the scattering of light in the Earth's atmosphere, which is responsible for the blue color of the sky. It is also used in the study of other forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves and x-rays.

3. What is the difference between Rayleigh scattering and other types of scattering?

Rayleigh scattering is specific to particles that are much smaller than the wavelength of the radiation, while other types of scattering, such as Mie scattering, involve particles that are closer in size to the wavelength. This results in different patterns and intensities of scattered light.

4. How do I work with Rayleigh scattering in my research?

If you are conducting research that involves the scattering of light or other electromagnetic radiation, it is important to understand the principles of Rayleigh scattering and how it may impact your observations. This may involve using mathematical equations, computer simulations, or laboratory experiments.

5. Are there any practical applications of Rayleigh scattering?

Yes, there are several practical applications of Rayleigh scattering. One example is its use in remote sensing, where the scattering of light can provide information about the composition and properties of atmospheric particles. It is also used in technologies such as radar and lidar, which use scattered radiation to detect and measure objects in the atmosphere.