Help please designing a Piezeoactuator drive circuit

In summary: I dont have any datsheets of piezeoactuator.What are its dimensions?What do you intend to use it for?You don't need that high of a power level to drive a piezo actuator. Last chance -- please link to the datasheet for the piezo actuator, and tell us your level of experience in working with high voltage electronics. Thank you.
core7916
I want to actuate the piezeoactuator which is taking more than 100vdc. But i have a sorce of less than 30vdc. Can any one tell me what to do.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get another voltage source. Simple as that.

Likes DaveE and Vanadium 50
If the actuator will be used to position something and needs 100 V, then you will need a high voltage supply that powers an HV buffer.
If the actuator needs only a 100 V pulse, you could use a transformer or a Marx pulse multiplier.

For my Nixie lamp clock I made a boost converter that uses 12V as input and produces ~200V. Basically just a 555, a MOSFET, an inductor and a capacitor.

Welcome to PF. :smile:

core7916 said:
I want to actuate the piezeoactuator which is taking more than 100vdc. But i have a sorce of less than 30vdc. Can any one tell me what to do.
Can you post a link to the datasheet for the actuator? That would help a lot. Thanks.

Borek said:
For my Nixie lamp clock I made a boost converter that uses 12V as input and produces ~200V. Basically just a 555, a MOSFET, an inductor and a capacitor.
Can you share more information about how you converted 12v to 200v..
In my case i have to produce 200v from 28v source.

Without having a datasheet, and knowing the application of the piezoactuator, this thread is lost.

Likes DaveE and Drakkith
core7916 said:
Can you share more information about how you converted 12v to 200v.

Use google, Luke.

I gave you several key words to search for, they should put you on the track. But, as others already suggested you more than once, choice of the converter depends on the power consumption of the actuator. No datasheet, no way to choose a fitting solution.

core7916 said:
Can you share more information about how you converted 12v to 200v..
In my case i have to produce 200v from 28v source.
This is starting to sound more like your other thread (which is now closed):
core7916 said:
I need to design a circuit which takes around 28V of input and outputs the 200v with 20A. Can any one help me.

You don't need that high of a power level to drive a piezo actuator. Last chance -- please link to the datasheet for the piezo actuator, and tell us your level of experience in working with high voltage electronics. Thank you.

berkeman said:
This is starting to sound more like your other thread (which is now closed):You don't need that high of a power level to drive a piezo actuator. Last chance -- please link to the datasheet for the piezo actuator, and tell us your level of experience in working with high voltage electronics. Thank you.
I dont have any datsheets of piezeoactuator. All i know is i want high voltage to actuate it. And i want high current in beginning. Lets say less than 5ms i have to apply high current then i dont need high current. Since i am fresh to these power converting i dont have much knowledge about it. Can you please suggest anything

Where did you find the piezo-actuator?
What are its dimensions?
What do you intend to use it for?

core7916 said:
I dont have any datsheets of piezeoactuator.
If you read the little-biddy writing on the side of the piezo, what does it say? :wink:

Can you upload a picture of it? (use the "Attach files" link below the Edit box)

berkeman said:
Last chance -- please link to the datasheet for the piezo actuator, and tell us your level of experience in working with high voltage electronics.
core7916 said:
I dont have any datsheets of piezeoactuator. All i know is i want high voltage to actuate it. And i want high current in beginning.
Without a datasheet, you do not know voltage and you do not know current. Without a datasheet, we do not know voltage or current, so we cannot help you. So I locked this thread. If you want the thread reopened send a PM to myself or @berkeman.

Likes jim mcnamara, DaveE and anorlunda

Related to Help please designing a Piezeoactuator drive circuit

1. What is a Piezoelectric Actuator?

A piezoelectric actuator is a type of electromechanical transducer that converts electrical energy into mechanical motion or force. It uses the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress.

2. How does a Piezoelectric Actuator work?

A piezoelectric actuator consists of a piezoelectric material, such as quartz or ceramic, sandwiched between two electrodes. When an electric voltage is applied to the electrodes, the piezoelectric material expands or contracts, causing the actuator to move. This movement can be used to drive mechanical systems or generate vibrations.

3. What are the advantages of using a Piezoelectric Actuator?

Piezoelectric actuators offer several advantages over traditional electromagnetic actuators. They are compact, lightweight, and have a fast response time. They also have a high force-to-weight ratio and can operate in a wide range of temperatures. Additionally, they do not require lubrication or produce magnetic fields, making them ideal for use in cleanroom environments.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a Piezoelectric Actuator drive circuit?

When designing a Piezoelectric Actuator drive circuit, factors such as the desired displacement, frequency, and voltage range should be considered. The type of piezoelectric material and its dimensions also play a crucial role in determining the circuit design. Additionally, factors such as temperature, power consumption, and signal conditioning should be taken into account.

5. Are there any precautions to take when using a Piezoelectric Actuator?

Yes, there are some precautions to take when using a Piezoelectric Actuator. These include avoiding overloading the actuator, as it can cause damage to the piezoelectric material. It is also essential to protect the actuator from excessive heat, humidity, and mechanical shocks. Additionally, proper grounding and shielding should be implemented to prevent interference from external electrical signals.