Help on a problem with multiple parts, please

In summary, the block starts from rest at the top of a 30.0° incline and accelerates uniformly down the incline. It moves 2.00 m in 1.50 s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is . There is friction involved, because one of the questions is asking for the coefficient of friction.
keeper54
hey i was wondering if anybody could show me how to do a problem that contains multiple parts:

55. A 3.00 kg block starts from rest at the top of a 30.0° incline and accelerates uniformly down the incline, moving 2.00 m in 1.50 s.

a. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the block.
b. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline.
c. Find the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the block.
d. Find the speed of the block after it has slid a distance of 2.00 m.

I know that the initial velocity=0, Fg (weight)=29.4N, Fn (normal force)=14.7N, and I think that the falling force is 21.6N, but I'm not sure if i did all this right. Just show me what I need to do, and I'll do the rest! thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force making it slide is gravity, and there should be only two forces acting on it [normal and gravity] if there is no friction of course.

Normal will be equal to [tex] mgcos\theta = n [/tex] because there is no movement on the y-axis.

Now for [tex] mgsen\theta = ma [/tex] which will become [tex] gsen\theta = a [/tex] because there's movement on the x-axis.

Last edited:
friction

there is definately friction involved, because one of the questions is asking for the coefficient of friction.

keeper54 said:
there is definately friction involved, because one of the questions is asking for the coefficient of friction.

oh i didn't read the questions :smile:

Well another force :cool:

[tex] F_{f} = \mu N [/tex]

so changing the x-axis equation it will be if we take positive aceleration the way as the block slides it will be

[tex] mgsen\theta - \mu N = ma [/tex]
[tex] mgsen\theta - \mu mgcos\theta = ma [/tex]
[tex] gsen\theta - \mu gcos\theta = a [/tex]

I plugged everything in so that it was a=9.8sin30=4.9m/s/s. This is wrong, though. The back of the book says it should be 1.78m/s/s. What's wrong?

keeper54 said:
I plugged everything in so that it was a=9.8sin30=4.9m/s/s. This is wrong, though. The back of the book says it should be 1.78m/s/s. What's wrong?

I did the first analysis without friction...

so how would i find mu?

keeper54 said:
so how would i find mu?

Kinematics! :smile:

The problem states uniform acceleration which is
[tex] gsen\theta - \mu gcos\theta = a [/tex]

but mu is a value, isn't it (and one that I don't have, at that)? So how do I find accel. without mu? I'm sorry if I'm being difficult, but as you can see, this isn't my strongest subject :).

Well the block starts from rest

info:
[tex] V_{o} = 0 m/s[/tex]
[tex] X_{o} = 0 m[/tex]
[tex] X = 2 m [/tex]
[tex] t = 1.5 s [/tex]

I think this equation will help

[tex] X - X_{o} = V_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] X = \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

[tex] X = \frac{1}{2}(gsen\theta - \mu gcos\theta)t^2 [/tex]

still not answering the mu thing, though. Sorry...lol. d=1/2 (9.8sin30 - [mu]9.8cos30)

Are you understanding? or should we go back?

keeper54 said:
still not answering the mu thing, though. Sorry...lol. d=1/2 (9.8sin30 - [mu]9.8cos30)

Of course it is!, just get [tex] \mu [/tex] alone

[tex]\frac{\frac{2X}{gt^2} - sen\theta}{-cos\theta} = \mu [/tex]

Plug in known values and voila!

Understanding everything except for that darn mu thing. I'm really sorry I'm making this so hard.

keeper54 said:
Understanding everything except for that darn mu thing. I'm really sorry I'm making this so hard.

[tex] \mu [/tex] is just the greek letter given to friction quotient.

OK. got that. so... 2(2)/9.8(1.5*1.5)- sin30 / -cos30 = mu. mu=-.48

I guess you can finish it now...

keeper54 said:
OK. got that. so... 2(2)/9.8(1.5*1.5)- sin30 / -cos30 = mu. mu=-.48

No, you're calculating it wrong. [tex] \mu = 0.3678 [/tex]

don't know where i went wrong...

i did it again and still got .48308

Use enough parenthese in the calculator or do it by pieces.

If you put it all together it should be

(((2*2)/(9.8*1.5^2)) - sin(30))/(-cos(30))

Edit: Oops one parentheses left out

Last edited:
got it. thanks so much for your help. sorry once again for making things so difficult. I'm goin' to bed.

keeper54 said:
got it. thanks so much for your help. sorry once again for making things so difficult. I'm goin' to bed.

It was good to be of help, good night!

Related to Help on a problem with multiple parts, please

1. What is the best approach to solving a problem with multiple parts?

The best approach to solving a problem with multiple parts is to break it down into smaller, manageable parts. This will help you stay organized and focused, and allow you to tackle each part efficiently.

2. How can I stay organized while working on a problem with multiple parts?

To stay organized, it is helpful to create a plan or outline before starting to work on the problem. This will help you prioritize the different parts and keep track of your progress.

3. Should I work on all the parts of the problem at once, or one at a time?

It is generally more effective to work on one part of the problem at a time. This will allow you to give each part your full attention and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on one part of the problem?

If you get stuck on one part of the problem, take a step back and try approaching it from a different angle. You can also ask for help from a colleague or do some research to gain new insights.

5. How can I ensure that I don't miss any important details in a problem with multiple parts?

To avoid missing important details, make sure to carefully read and understand each part of the problem before starting to work on it. Take notes and refer back to them as needed to ensure you are addressing all components of the problem.