Help Needed: Solving y = A sin({2*10^6 ({\pi / 3 -\pi t }) + \phi })

• Thread starter MichaelTam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for signal strength and how to use it to find the time for a signal to travel a certain distance. The question at hand is how to find the speed of the wave from the given data.
MichaelTam
Homework Statement
Exercise
Relevant Equations
##v = f \lambda , s({x,t}) = A sin({k x - \omega t + \phi}) ##, other statements are provided in the picture.
I know so ## y = A sin({2*10^6 ({\pi / 3 -\pi t }) + \phi }) ##
There still some unknown I cannot find, can anyone give me some hint please?

Attachments

• F6104606-1371-4F46-A8C2-185EE2372EAB.png
    F6104606-1371-4F46-A8C2-185EE2372EAB.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But how can I find t?## \lambda = 3 ## because ## k = 2 \pi/3 = 2 \pi/\lambda##

Last edited:
MichaelTam said:
But how can I find t?## \lambda = 3 ## because ## k = 2 \pi/3 = 2 \pi/\lambda##
The formula ##s(x, t) = A sin(k \cdot x - \omega \cdot t + \phi)## gives you the signal strength (##s##) at a particular position (##x##) and time (##t##). If you wanted the time at which ##s## had some particular value, you would use the formula. But that is not what the question is about.

You simply want the time for the signal to travel a distance of ##1.0 \times10^6 ## m. So you use:

##time = \frac {distance}{speed}##

You know the distance is ##1.0 \times 10^6 ## m. So the real question is can you find the speed (##v##) of the wave from the data supplied?

Edit: minor changes to improve wording.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

Related to Help Needed: Solving y = A sin({2*10^6 ({\pi / 3 -\pi t }) + \phi })

1. What does the equation y = A sin({2*10^6 ({\pi / 3 -\pi t }) + \phi }) represent?

The equation represents a sinusoidal wave with a frequency of 2*10^6 Hz and a phase shift of \phi. The amplitude of the wave is represented by A.

2. How do you solve for the value of y in this equation?

To solve for y, you would need to know the values of A, \phi, and t. Plug those values into the equation and use a calculator to evaluate the expression inside the sine function. The resulting value will be the value of y.

3. What is the significance of the frequency 2*10^6 Hz in this equation?

The frequency of 2*10^6 Hz represents the number of cycles the wave completes in one second. This value is important in determining the period and wavelength of the wave.

4. How does the value of \phi affect the shape of the wave?

The value of \phi, also known as the phase shift, determines the position of the wave relative to the x-axis. A positive value of \phi will shift the wave to the left, while a negative value will shift it to the right. This will result in a horizontal translation of the wave.

5. Can this equation be used to model real-life phenomena?

Yes, this equation can be used to model various real-life phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and even mechanical waves. The values of A, \phi, and t can be adjusted to fit the specific characteristics of the phenomenon being modeled.