Help Needed: Solve Circuit Analysis Problem

In summary, an electrical engineering student is seeking help with a problem in circuit analysis. The problem involves determining the voltage difference between two points and using the voltage and current laws. The student is unsure if there is current flowing through a certain component and if they can ignore other components in their solution. They receive confirmation that the 5V voltage must be considered and cannot be ignored.
Cetullah
Hello dear Physics Forums community, I need your help! I m an electrical engineering student in second class, and I m stuck with a different kind of problem (probably different to me only, lawl) in the Circuit Analysis.

I believe this problem will be a stepping stone for the other problems I can't solve yet.

Homework Statement

In the attachment.

Homework Equations

Guess they are the Voltage law and Current Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I m stuck, can't do a thing, will appreciate the attempts to guide me to solution.

Thank you!

Edit, Lol, the problem asks the voltage difference between point a,(the corner on left-top) and point b(the left-bottom corner of the loop in right)

Attachments

• kirchoff.png
    kirchoff.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
Indicate on your diagram where currents are flowing. Then determine the potential drops across all the components. Do a "KVL walk" from point a to point b.

Hint: A continuous current requires a complete circuit.

Hmm, so I guess there's no current flowing through the line in the middle?

Cetullah said:
Hmm, so I guess there's no current flowing through the line in the middle?

That happens to be a good guess.

Nice! And can I simply discard the 5v battery and the 10 ohm resistor when I m doing the KVL walk?

Cetullah said:
Nice! And can I simply discard the 5v battery and the 10 ohm resistor when I m doing the KVL walk?

Nope. The 5V voltage remains 5V no matter what; it's an ideal supply and cannot change. What's the potential drop across the resistor if the current is zero?

Related to Help Needed: Solve Circuit Analysis Problem

1. What is a circuit analysis problem?

A circuit analysis problem is a mathematical problem that involves analyzing and solving circuits, which are systems of electrical components connected by conductive paths. The goal of circuit analysis is to determine the voltages, currents, and power in the circuit.

2. How do I approach solving a circuit analysis problem?

The first step in solving a circuit analysis problem is to draw a schematic diagram of the circuit. Then, you can use methods such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and thevenin's theorem to simplify the circuit and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are some common challenges in solving circuit analysis problems?

Some common challenges in solving circuit analysis problems include dealing with complex circuits, identifying and understanding the different components and their functions, and applying the correct equations and principles.

4. How can I check if my solution to a circuit analysis problem is correct?

You can check your solution by using a circuit simulator software or by building the circuit and measuring the voltages and currents with a multimeter. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure they follow the laws and principles of circuit analysis.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving circuit analysis problems?

One useful tip for solving circuit analysis problems is to break down the circuit into smaller, simpler parts and solve them individually before combining the solutions. It is also important to carefully label and keep track of each variable and equation to avoid mistakes.