Help Needed: Opening & Closing Heavy Trap Door for Grandma

• Thread starter philbey64
  • Start date
In summary, the trap door is too heavy for the elderly woman to open and close, but there is a solution that does not require her to use more force.
philbey64
I have built some decking for my grandmother, so it is easier for her to enjoy the garden. There is a bin area that has had to be on a different level, so I have put in a trap door. The thing is that she will not be able to open or close it as it too heavy. Is there any solution to this dilemma, I have thought of rams, but there is not enough distance from the underside of the door to the original path, (some 4" or 100 mm only) Has anyone got a solution on how to open and close the door with the minimum of effort, she is 71 years old and built like a matchstick!

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
philbey64 said:
I have built some decking for my grandmother, so it is easier for her to enjoy the garden. There is a bin area that has had to be on a different level, so I have put in a trap door. The thing is that she will not be able to open or close it as it too heavy. Is there any solution to this dilemma, I have thought of rams, but there is not enough distance from the underside of the door to the original path, (some 4" or 100 mm only) Has anyone got a solution on how to open and close the door with the minimum of effort, she is 71 years old and built like a matchstick!

Thanks in advance

A picture might be helpful so we can see how the system is setup.

However, I can give you some general answers. If you wish to move an object with a minimum amount of force, you could use leverage through torque. By this I mean something like a long pole which is attached to the door and a fulcrum. If the pole is long enough the force to apply by your grandmother should be really small. Another option would be a system of pulleys which would also require a very small amount of force.

If these still do not help I would suggest a motorized solution; one where she doesn't need to do more than push a button. Anyway I hope that helps, good luck.

It would help if you could give a sketch of the layout. I am confused by the apparent contradiction between a "Bin" beneath the floor and " only a 4" clearance to the ground below".

Related to Help Needed: Opening & Closing Heavy Trap Door for Grandma

1. How heavy is the trap door?

The weight of the trap door can vary depending on its size and materials. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the exact weight and how to safely open and close it.

2. Is there a specific method for opening and closing the trap door?

Yes, there are specific techniques for safely opening and closing heavy trap doors. It is important to use proper lifting techniques and have proper equipment, such as a sturdy ladder or pulley system.

3. Can the trap door be modified to make it easier to open and close?

Yes, there are modifications that can be made to the trap door to make it easier to open and close. This can include adding counterweights or installing a hydraulic lifting system. However, it is important to consult with a professional for proper installation and to ensure the modifications are safe.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when opening and closing the trap door?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when dealing with heavy trap doors. These include having a spotter to assist with the opening and closing, wearing proper safety gear, and securing the trap door to prevent accidental closing.

5. Can I hire someone to open and close the trap door for me?

Yes, you can hire a professional to open and close the trap door for you. This is especially recommended if you are not physically able to do it yourself or if the trap door is particularly heavy or difficult to open and close.