Help needed in understanding the author method of solving a DE

• Thread starter perwiradua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary: By using this, the author shows that I(t) can be expressed as a function of \psi and the integral \mu(t,t_j) , which can then be solved for J(t) and I(t) for each interval t_{j-1} \leq t < t_j , resulting in the solution \kappa(x,y) = e^{-\int_0^t \theta (u) du} \psi \big ( \mu(x,y) \big ). In summary, the author's method involves changing the dependent variable, using separation of variables and integrating with respect to a function, and defining an integral that leads to a solution for I(t)
perwiradua
(The full article is here: https://app.box.com/s/bjb63h4nt12rsvdke6yl. The part I would like to ask is on page 995-996))

I am trying to understand the idea behind the author's method in solving the differential equation

[itex]
I'(t) = -D(t) F \big (e^{\int_0^t \theta (u) du} I(t) \big )- \theta (t) I(t) \qquad (1.5)
[/itex]

where [itex] D(t) [/itex] is positive and [itex] \theta(t) [/itex] is nonnegative for [itex] 0 < t < H [/itex].

{start: How is this part relevant? --------------

Let

[itex]
\mu(x,y) = \int_x^y D(t) e^{\int_0^t \theta (u) du} dt
[/itex]

where [itex] F(v) [/itex] is positive for [itex] 0 < v < \ell [/itex] and [itex] F \in C(0,\ell) [/itex],
for some number [itex] \ell [/itex] for which

[itex]
\mu(0,H) \leq \int_0^\ell \frac{dv}{F(v)} < \infty.
[/itex]

end:-----------}

Equation (1.5) holds for [itex] t_{j-1} \leq t < t_j [/itex], with the boundary condition

[itex]
I(t) \rightarrow 0 \quad \text{as} \quad t \uparrow t_j \qquad (1.8)
[/itex]

for [itex] j = 1, 2, \ldots n [/itex]. To solve the equation subject to this condition, we change the dependent variable to [itex] J(t) = e^{\int_0^t \theta (u) du} I(t) [/itex].

With this as the unknown, (1.5) becomes

[itex]
J'(t) = D(t) e^{\int_0^t \theta (u) du} F \big ( J(t) \big ).
[/itex]

Subsequently. by separation of variables and imposition of (1.8) we find

[itex]
\int_0^{J(t)} \frac{dv}{F(v)} = \mu(t,t_j)
[/itex]

for [itex] t_{j-1} \leq t < t_j [/itex].

{start: This is the bit that I don't understand. Why need to define such
integral?}

Hence, if we define [itex] \psi [/itex] via

[itex]
z = \int_0^{\psi(z)} \frac{dv}{F(v)}
\quad \text{for} \quad
0 \leq z \leq \mu(0,H),
[/itex]

end:-----------}

we have

[itex]
J(t) = \psi \big ( \mu(t,t_j) \big )
\quad \text{for} \quad
t_{j-1} \leq t < t_j .
[/itex]

This gives

[itex]
I(t) = \kappa(t,t_j) \quad \text{for} \quad t_{j-1} \leq t < t_j
[/itex]

where

[itex]
\kappa(x,y) = e^{-\int_0^t \theta (u) du} \psi \big ( \mu(x,y) \big ).
[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The author's method is to solve equation (1.5) by changing the dependent variable to J(t) = e^{\int_0^t \theta (u) du} I(t) , and then using separation of variables and integrating with respect to the function F(v) . This leads to an expression for I(t) in terms of \psi(z) , where z is defined as the integral of F(v) from 0 to \psi(z) .

Related to Help needed in understanding the author method of solving a DE

What is the author method of solving a differential equation?

The author method of solving a differential equation is a systematic approach that involves breaking down a complex equation into simpler parts and solving each part individually. This method is often used when traditional methods, such as separation of variables, are not applicable.

What are the steps involved in the author method of solving a differential equation?

The steps involved in the author method of solving a differential equation are as follows:

1. Identify the type of differential equation (e.g. first-order, second-order, etc.)
  2. Separate the equation into simpler parts, if possible
  3. Use substitution to transform the equation into a standard form
  4. Solve the standard form equation by using known techniques
  5. Substitute back to obtain the solution to the original equation

When is the author method of solving a differential equation most useful?

The author method of solving a differential equation is most useful when traditional methods, such as separation of variables, fail to provide a solution. It is also useful when the equation is complex and cannot be solved by hand.

What are the advantages of using the author method of solving a differential equation?

The advantages of using the author method of solving a differential equation include:

• It can be used for a wide range of differential equations, including non-linear equations
  • It provides a systematic approach for solving complex equations
  • It can be applied to both homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations
  • It is a useful alternative when traditional methods fail

Are there any limitations to the author method of solving a differential equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the author method of solving a differential equation. It may not always provide an exact solution, and in some cases, it may only provide an approximate solution. Additionally, it may be more time-consuming compared to traditional methods.