Finding a Digit of Pi Without Previous Knowledge

In summary, the conversation is about finding a specific digit of Pi without knowing the preceding digits. The participants discuss different algorithms and formulas, and one person shares an idea about using idle processing power to calculate Pi. The conversation ends with them planning to continue their research and asking for help.
STAii
I heard there is a certain way to find a certain digit of Pi without knowing the digits before it.
Now i tried to make a search on it, and i got some pages, but frankly couldn't understand anything in them !
So i would appreciate if someone could explain to me in a simple way how to figure out a certain digit of Pi without the digits before.
Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have seen this algorithm on the web, I do not have a link and cannot point you to it, but it does exist.

One thing it was not, was simple. It was a very complex algorithm that I could not even begin to sort out. I do not think there is a simple way to do it, sorry.
Staii,
Glad to see that you are still posting.

I also need that, would please try to remember where you got that ?

just check mathworld. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Bailey-Borwein-PlouffeAlgorithm.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not the algorithm I saw, nor is it clear to me exatly how the linked one works. Is n the number of the digit you need to generate? if so it means you must sum to n, how does that differ from generating all preceding digits?

Originally posted by Integral
That is not the algorithm I saw, nor is it clear to me exatly how the linked one works. Is n the number of the digit you need to generate? if so it means you must sum to n, how does that differ from generating all preceding digits?

that infinite sum there has a (1/16)n. that means that the nth term of the series is the nth digit in a hexadecimal representation. in general, what is meant by a representation in some base is an infinite sum with a geometric term in the base of the number.

The bibliography on that link links to a page (I think by the inventors) that describes the formula and how one can actually go about evaluating it fairly quickly).

Hurkyl

Umm ...
Well the problem i faced was only in knowning how to apply the formula !
I just got this idea yesterday, i can program an application that can use ONLY the processing power that is not used in each one's PC (the Idle Proccess) to make something usefull.
So the first thing i could thing of, was caclulating Pi.
And, it will be inpractical to use any formula that depends on preceeding data (iow, forumlas that do not calculate each digit alone), cause there will be thousands of computers working at the same time, but not connected.
So each computer has to work on a certain range of digits, without depending on previous data (which may be not completed yet !).
Anyways ... i will try to make some more research, and will come back here to discuss it (and ask for help for sure :smile:).
Staii,
Glad to see that you are still posting.
Thank you Integral, people like you on the forums are those who keep me going on :smile:.

1. How is it possible to find a digit of Pi without previous knowledge?

Using mathematical algorithms and formulas, it is possible to approximate the value of Pi. These algorithms can be used to calculate the value of Pi to a specific number of digits without any prior knowledge of the value.

2. What is the process for finding a digit of Pi without previous knowledge?

The process involves using mathematical equations and algorithms, such as the Chudnovsky algorithm or the Borwein algorithm, to approximate the value of Pi. These algorithms can be implemented using a computer program or by hand calculations.

3. Can the digit of Pi found using this method be considered accurate?

The accuracy of the digit of Pi found using this method depends on the number of calculations performed and the precision of the algorithm used. With a higher number of calculations and a more precise algorithm, the digit of Pi can be considered highly accurate.

4. Are there any limitations to finding a digit of Pi without previous knowledge?

One limitation is the amount of time and computing power required to perform the calculations. As the number of digits increases, the time and resources needed also increase significantly. Additionally, there may be rounding errors or limitations in the precision of the algorithm used.

5. What are the practical applications of finding a digit of Pi without previous knowledge?

The ability to find a digit of Pi without previous knowledge has applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It can be used to improve the accuracy of calculations and simulations, as well as in cryptography and data compression algorithms.