Help needed in calculating Flux of point source (NucEng)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the photon intensity 5 cm from a point source of {}^{47}Ca, which is encased in a lead sphere. The necessary information can be found using tables in the textbook. The equation for flux/intensity of photons from a point source is given, and the main question is how to go from weight to photons per second. It is suggested to use the sample's mass and half-life to calculate the expected number of photons emitted per unit of time.
stvoffutt

Homework Statement

A 2 [itex]\mu[/itex]g sample of [itex]{}^{47}Ca[/itex] is encased in a lead sphere. What is the photon intensity 5 cm from the source? Use some of the tables in your book to find the required information.

Homework Equations

Flux/Intensity of photons from a point source:
[itex]\phi(r)=\frac{S_p}{4\pi r^2} e^{-\mu r} [/itex]
Where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the total microscopic cross section, r is the radius(distance) from point source and [itex]S_p[/itex] is the particles per unit time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can and have done these problems when the energy of the sample is given. However I have never done one where the weight of the sample is given. I am lost on this problem. My main question here is: How can I go from weight to photons/second?

I tried calculating [itex]S_p[/itex] by using 1047.1 keV/decay listed in the textbook but I still don't know where to go from there. Ci:=decays/second. How many photons per keV?? Or am I over thinking this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Radioactive calcium 47 has a half-life of 4.7 days and emits a high-energy gamma ray (photon) of 1.3 Mev as well as a beta particle in its decay to scandium 47. - reference

If you know the sample's mass you can calculate the number of atoms present, and based on its half-life you can determine the expected number of photons the sample is emitting per unit of time.

Related to Help needed in calculating Flux of point source (NucEng)

1. What is the definition of flux in nuclear engineering?

In nuclear engineering, flux is defined as the rate of flow of particles or energy through a given area. It is a measure of the intensity of a source, and is typically measured in particles per second per square meter.

2. How is flux calculated for a point source?

To calculate flux for a point source, you would need to use the formula: Flux = (source strength)/(4*pi*distance^2), where the source strength is the number of particles emitted per second and the distance is the distance from the source to the point where flux is being measured.

3. What factors can affect the flux of a point source?

The flux of a point source can be affected by factors such as the strength of the source, distance from the source, and the material between the source and the point of measurement. Other factors that can affect flux include the type of particles emitted, the energy of the particles, and any shielding or barriers that may be present.

4. How is flux used in nuclear engineering?

In nuclear engineering, flux is an important parameter used to understand and control the behavior of nuclear reactions. It is used to calculate the rate of nuclear reactions, determine radiation levels, and design shielding and safety measures for nuclear facilities.

5. What are some common methods for measuring flux in nuclear engineering?

Some common methods for measuring flux in nuclear engineering include using radiation detectors such as Geiger counters, ionization chambers, and scintillation counters. Flux can also be measured indirectly by monitoring the amount of radiation absorbed by a material in the vicinity of the source.