Help Needed: Find Points on x+xy+2y^2=6 with Slope at (2,1)

In summary, the individual is seeking help with a problem in AP Calculus involving finding the coordinates of points on a given curve with a specific slope. They are advised to find the derivative of the curve and then calculate the derivative at a given point. They are also given an example of implicit differentiation to help them with their problem.
ashleyk
I'm new at this, so I hope someone can help me. I have AP Calculus and need some help on a problem...

Given the curve x+xy+2y^2 = 6

Find the coordinates of all points on this curve with slope equal to the slope at (2,1)

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the derivative (you could, for example, solve for x and calculate dx/dy, or you could perform implicit differentiation on the relation you were given). Then calculate the derivative at (2, 1), etc.

Last edited:
Let me add this, to help you with implicit derivatives :

Example : xy^2 + 2x = 1

then (d/dx)(xy^2) + (d/dx)(2x) = (d/dx)1

So, using the product rule on the first term, x(d/dx)(y^2) + y^2(d/dx)(x) + (d/dx)(2x) = (d/dx)1

Now evaluating the derivatives : x(2y)(dy/dx) + y^2(1) + 2 = 0

Separating out dy/dx gives, (dy/dx) = (-2 - y^2)/(2xy)

Now substituting any pair of values (x1,y1) gives you the value of the slope at (x1,y1).

Related to Help Needed: Find Points on x+xy+2y^2=6 with Slope at (2,1)

1. What is the equation and what does it represent?

The equation is x+xy+2y^2=6. It represents a curve on a two-dimensional plane. Specifically, it is a parabola with a vertical axis of symmetry.

2. How do I find the points on this curve?

To find the points on the curve, you can use various methods such as graphing, substitution, or elimination. For this specific equation, you can also use the quadratic formula to solve for y and then plug in different x values to find corresponding points.

3. How do I find the slope at a specific point on the curve?

To find the slope at a specific point on the curve, you can use the derivative of the equation. In this case, you would take the derivative of x+xy+2y^2=6 with respect to x and then plug in the x-value of the point you are interested in. This will give you the slope at that point.

4. How do I find the points on the curve with a specific slope?

To find the points on the curve with a specific slope, you can use the derivative again. This time, you would set the derivative equal to the desired slope and solve for x. Once you have the x-value, you can plug it back into the original equation to find the corresponding y-value and thus the point on the curve with the desired slope.

5. Can I use a graphing calculator to help me find the points and slope?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the curve and find points on it. Some graphing calculators also have features that allow you to find the slope at a specific point. However, it is important to also understand the mathematical concepts and methods behind finding points and slope on a curve, rather than solely relying on a calculator.