Help Needed: Calculating Universe Temperature at Star System Scale

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the temperature of the universe at a specific length scale using the scale factor and redshift. The steps involve finding the scale factor at the given length scale, calculating the redshift, and using it to determine the temperature difference from the current temperature. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of Plank's law and the maximum wavelength for the given temperature.
smitty8371
Hi I am new to this site and I really need help I missed this class and of course my book doesn't have this formula so if anyone could tell me it that would be great.

The temperature of the universe is now 2.725 K, and its scale size is 100 Mly.
How hot was the universe when its length scale was the size of a star system (12billion km)?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fun one.

I think the way I did this question was to recall that the temperature scaled linearly with redshift.

are you saying use 1+z=a1/a2? sorry I am still really confused
this is not a homework problem its just something i need to know for my test

Not what I was thinking of, but that might also work!

I was thinking of the fact that black body radiation follows Planks law, ie T*(z)=T_0*(1+z) But you might have to prove that if you haven't been taught it in class.

the only issue I am having with this is i only know the past scale size and the current scale size and temp but those other equations need wavelength

Wavelength? You shouldn't.

Use the scale factors to find the redshift, then you can get the temperature.

so then where do i plug in the scale factor. Do i use it for z

Like I said, use it to find the redshift.

If a0 (the scale factor today) is 1, then in general a(t) = 1/(1+z(t)). In particular, for the two values you've been given a1 = (1/(1+z1)) and a2 = (1/(1+z2)). So you know the ratio of the (1+z)'s at the two times. As e.bar.goum has already pointed out, the radiation temperature scales inversely with a (or linearly with 1+z).

EDIT: I'm thinking of a dimensionless scale factor that represents the ratio of the separation of any two objects at time t to their separation now. You seem to be using some sort of dimensional scale length (i.e. one with units). The principle should be the same, but I don't know if the relationship between scale factor and redshift holds.

Sorry if I was being too obscure.

thanks i understand the concept of this its just where to put the numbers. I know that as the size decreases the temperature goes up that makes sense its the number crunching I am struggling with

smitty8371 said:
thanks i understand the concept of this its just where to put the numbers. I know that as the size decreases the temperature goes up that makes sense its the number crunching I am struggling with

Break it up into steps:

1. Let's just say that the scale factor a is the ratio of the universe's scale length at the time of interest to the scale length NOW. So what is the scale factor at the time when the scale length was only 12 billion km?

2. Given that scale factor, what is the redshift of light emitted at that time?

3. Given that redshift, by what factor does the temperature then differ from the temperature now.

would the scale factor be 1.268*10^-11
honestly could someone just show me the work to do it i know no one here wants to hear that but it would help me tremendously so then i can just remember the steps on how to solve it

Last edited:
smitty8371 said:
would the scale factor be 1.268*10^-11

Yes.

(That is the ratio of the two scale lengths.)

smitty8371 said:
honestly could someone just show me the work to do it i know no one here wants to hear that but it would help me tremendously so then i can just remember the steps on how to solve it

No.

Now do step 2!

would the redshift be (1/1.268*10^-11)-1=z=about 7.88644*10^10
ok thank you i got the answer correct now then how would i go about finding the maximum wavelength

Maximum wavelength? I thought you were trying to find the temperature of the universe?

I was but the next part of my practice problem asks for a maximum wavelength for the previous problem

i was but its the next question on my practice problem sheet

Related to Help Needed: Calculating Universe Temperature at Star System Scale

1. What is the main goal of calculating the universe temperature at star system scale?

The main goal of this calculation is to understand the overall temperature distribution of the universe at various scales, particularly at the level of star systems. This can provide valuable insights into the evolution and formation of galaxies and other cosmic structures.

2. How is the universe temperature at star system scale calculated?

The universe temperature at star system scale is typically calculated using a combination of observational data and theoretical models. This includes measuring the temperature of various objects in the universe, such as stars and galaxies, and using equations and simulations to estimate the temperature at larger scales.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation, including the quality and availability of observational data, the complexity of the theoretical models used, and the assumptions made during the calculation process. Additionally, uncertainties in our understanding of certain physical phenomena, such as dark matter and dark energy, can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. How does the universe temperature at star system scale compare to other scales?

The universe temperature at star system scale is typically cooler than the temperature at larger scales, such as galaxy clusters or the entire universe. This is because the temperature of the universe has been decreasing as it expands and cools over time.

5. What are some potential applications of knowing the universe temperature at star system scale?

Knowing the universe temperature at star system scale can have several applications, such as helping us better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, predicting the temperature of objects in the universe, and providing insights into the overall structure and dynamics of the universe.