Help! Moment of Inertia for Tangent Axis of Sphere

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the moment of inertia of a solid sphere about an axis tangent to the sphere using the parallel-axis theorem. The person initially struggled with using the equation I=Icm+Mr^2, but was reminded that the new axis of rotation is still parallel to the original one. The correct equation to use is I=Icm+MR^2, where Icm is the moment of inertia of the sphere about an axis passing through the center of mass.
envscigrl
Help! tangent axis

Use the parallel-axis theorem to find the moment of inertia of a solid sphere of mass M=3.80kg and radius R=2.30m about an axis that is tangent to the sphere.
I am being thrown off this problem because the axis is TANGENT to the sphere and not through the center. According to the equations in my book i thought the equation I would use would be:
I= Icm +Mr^2= 3/2 Mr^2
but it didnt work! am i not using the parallel axis right??
Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
If memory serves me, the moment of inertia of a solid sphere about an axis passing through the center of mass is

[tex]I_{cm} = \frac{2}{5}MR^2[/tex]

Add to it [tex]MR^2[/tex] to get the answer. How are you getting [tex]\frac{3}{2}MR^2[/tex]??

Remember an axis parallel to one passing through the sphere is clearly a tangent to the sphere from geometry. The parallel axis transformation changes your axes all right but the new axis of rotation is parallel to the one you started out with. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Vivek

Last edited:

Don't worry, it's understandable to get confused when dealing with different types of axes. In this case, since the axis is tangent to the sphere, it is not parallel to the axis through the center of mass. Therefore, you cannot use the parallel-axis theorem as you mentioned. Instead, you will need to use the perpendicular-axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about the tangent axis. This theorem states that the moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the plane of motion is equal to the sum of the moments of inertia about two perpendicular axes through the same point. In this case, the two perpendicular axes would be the axis through the center of mass and the tangent axis. So, the equation you would use is:

I = Icm + Iparallel

Where Icm is the moment of inertia about the axis through the center of mass, and Iparallel is the moment of inertia about the tangent axis. Since the moment of inertia about the axis through the center of mass for a solid sphere is 2/5 MR^2, the equation would be:

I = (2/5 MR^2) + Iparallel

Now, to find the moment of inertia about the tangent axis, you can use the perpendicular-axis theorem again, but this time with the axis through the center of mass and an axis perpendicular to the tangent axis. This perpendicular axis would be the axis passing through the center of the sphere and the point of tangency of the tangent axis. The moment of inertia about this axis is simply MR^2. So, the equation becomes:

I = (2/5 MR^2) + (MR^2)

= (7/5 MR^2)

= (7/5)(3.80kg)(2.30m)^2

= 46.15 kg*m^2

Therefore, the moment of inertia about the tangent axis for this solid sphere is 46.15 kg*m^2. I hope this helps clear up any confusion and helps you solve the problem!

Related to Help! Moment of Inertia for Tangent Axis of Sphere

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a tangent axis of a sphere?

The moment of inertia for a tangent axis of a sphere is calculated by using the formula I = 2/5 * mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Why is the moment of inertia for a tangent axis of a sphere different from other axes?

The moment of inertia for a tangent axis of a sphere is different because the axis of rotation is at the point of contact between the sphere and the surface it is resting on. This leads to a different distribution of mass and distance from the axis, resulting in a different moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

The moment of inertia affects rotational motion by determining the amount of torque needed to cause a rotational acceleration. A larger moment of inertia means a greater amount of torque is needed to produce the same amount of rotational acceleration.

5. Can the moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass or the distribution of mass in an object. For example, adding weight to one side of a rotating object will increase its moment of inertia.