Help me understand why this summation index is not j

docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
The below image is an excerpt from a website about Markov Chains.

In the red boxed which I put in the image, I don't understand why the term ##g(i)## isn't being summed over ##j## instead of ##i##, since the outer sum is over the ##i##th element of the vector ##Pg##, which is the dot product between the ##i##th row of ##P## and ##g##.

I expected ##\langle f,Pg \rangle## to expand as $$\sum_i f(i)(Pg)_i \pi_i = \sum_i f(i)\Big(\sum_jP_{ij}g(j)\Big)\pi_i .$$

But, the website shows $$\langle f,Pg \rangle= \sum_i f(i)\Big(\sum_jP_{ij}g(i)\Big)\pi_i .$$ What am I misunderstanding?

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 9.58.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 9.58.50 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In the theory of Markov chains, don't they do the matrix-vector operation back-to-front? Just to be different.

Likes docnet
PeroK said:
In the theory of Markov chains, don't they do the matrix-vector operation back-to-front? Just to be different.
Yes, if you mean left side multiplication, I think for probability distributions. Right side multiplication is done for expected values. The special inner product is defined using ##Pg## so I thought it was the usual right side multiplication... I am also not understanding how in the last line, ##P_{ji}## is switched with ##P_{ij}## as soon as the summation order changed.. 😭 :bow::headbang:

Obvious misprint.

Likes FactChecker and docnet
PeroK said:
Even if that is the case (I have not checked), the quoted expressions have typos. Exactly what they should be depends on this definition so I am not going to get into details regarding that.

Having browsed the page: The first equation in the quote should have ##g(j)##, not ##g(i)##. This is also clear from the second step where they do write ##g(j)##.

For the second equation they should not have switched the indices and their target expression should not have switched indices.

I’d say a case of bad proof reading in general.

• Informative
Thank you ! you saved me from an existential crisis for now. :eek::oldsurprised:

docnet said:
Thank you ! you saved me from an existential crisis for now. :eek::oldsurprised:
It all hinges on the "balance condition". ##P## is ##\pi##-self-adjoint iff that condition holds.

• Informative
Likes docnet
PeroK said:
It all hinges on the "balance condition". ##P## is ##\pi##-self-adjoint iff that condition holds.
Yes, but that was used already when writing the first expression in that equation down. The step where they just switch the indices on P is actually wrong and results in a wrong expression that they then interpret as if it were the correct one.

• Informative
Likes docnet
Orodruin said:
Yes, but that was used already when writing the first expression in that equation down. The step where they just switch the indices on P is actually wrong and results in a wrong expression that they then interpret as if it were the correct one.
It is a mess. At this level, I would expect to highlight that the balance condition is precisely the condition that makes ##P## self-adjoint. It's not just useful for the proof, it's the whole basis of the proof.

• Informative
Likes docnet
The way I would do this is simply.
$$\langle f,Pg \rangle = \sum_i f(i)\Big(\sum_jP_{ij}g(j)\Big)\pi_i = \sum_{i,j} f(i)g(j)\pi_iP_{ij}$$$$= \sum_{i,j} f(i)g(j)\pi_jP_{ji} =\sum_{i,j} P_{ji} f(i)g(j)\pi_j = \langle Pf, g \rangle$$

• Informative
Likes docnet
PeroK said:
The way I would do this is simply.
$$\langle f,Pg \rangle = \sum_i f(i)\Big(\sum_jP_{ij}g(j)\Big)\pi_i = \sum_{i,j} f(i)g(j)\pi_iP_{ij}$$$$= \sum_{i,j} f(i)g(j)\pi_jP_{ji} =\sum_{i,j} P_{ji} f(i)g(j)\pi_j = \langle Pf, g \rangle$$
That's sort of what I did as well! I thought about adding an extra step

$$\sum_{i,j} P_{ji} f(i)g(j)\pi_j=
\sum_j g(j)\Big(\sum_iP_{ji}f(i)\Big)\pi_j=
\langle Pf, g \rangle$$

where the change of the order of the summation is allowed because the double sum would converge absolutely, conditional on ##g(j)## and ##f(i)## being bounded in ##\mathbb{R}^n##. (And because ##P_{ij}\leq 1## for all ##i,j,## and ##\sum_j\pi_j=1##.)

Likes PeroK

Related to Help me understand why this summation index is not j

1. Why is the summation index not equal to j?

The summation index may not be equal to j due to a variety of reasons, such as a mistake in the calculation, an error in the formula being used, or a misunderstanding of the context in which the summation index is being applied. It is important to carefully review the calculations and assumptions made to determine the reason for the discrepancy.

2. Could there be a typo or error in the equation causing the summation index to not equal j?

Yes, it is possible that a typo or error in the equation could be causing the summation index to not equal j. It is important to carefully check the equation for any mistakes in the mathematical notation, variables, or operators that could be leading to the discrepancy.

3. Are there any specific conditions or constraints that need to be satisfied for the summation index to equal j?

Yes, there may be specific conditions or constraints that need to be satisfied for the summation index to equal j. It is important to carefully review the requirements of the problem or equation to ensure that all necessary conditions are being met in order for the summation index to be correctly calculated.

4. Could there be a misunderstanding of the definition or purpose of the summation index leading to it not being equal to j?

Yes, a misunderstanding of the definition or purpose of the summation index could lead to it not being equal to j. It is important to have a clear understanding of how the summation index is being used and what it represents in order to correctly interpret its value in the context of the problem or equation.

5. What steps can be taken to troubleshoot and identify the reason why the summation index is not j?

Some steps that can be taken to troubleshoot and identify the reason why the summation index is not j include carefully reviewing the calculations, double-checking the equation for errors, verifying that all conditions and constraints are being met, and seeking input from colleagues or experts in the field to help identify any potential issues or misunderstandings.