Help me out with these speed, velocity and momentum related questions?

In summary: The velocity equation is really easy - just use the initial speed and the distance from the original position.
Veloco-raptor

Homework Statement

Two cars collide and go off in different directions.

Car 1:
Mass = 1010kg
Distance before collision = 24m
Distance after collision = 11.5m
Angle from normal = 55.5°
- Car 1 was stationery immediately before impact.

Car 2:
Mass = 1230kg
Distance before collision = 22m
Distance after collision = 18.6m
Angle from normal = 35°

μ = 0.55 (for both cars).

Homework Equations

1. Determine the speed of each vehicle immediately after impact as they slide to their final positions.
2. Determine the speed of the vehicles immediately before the collision (Law of Conservation of Momentum).
3. From the skid marks (distance before collision) find the speed of the vehicles before braking.
4. Calculate the distance and time from the point of impact before each driver recognised the imminent danger.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking perhaps it means velocity rather than speed, that makes more sense to me. In that case, I would use equations of motion for 1 and 2, maybe 3 as well. However, initially I thought to use instantaneous velocity for question 1. Question 4, I have no clue, except that "before each driver recognised the imminent danger" is referring to the skid marks again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking perhaps it means velocity rather than speed,
Nah - speed is fine. Think: difference between speed and velocity.
that makes more sense to me. In that case, I would use equations of motion for 1 and 2, maybe 3
Only for 1 and 3 - like it says, use the conservation of momentum for 2.
as well. However, initially I thought to use instantaneous velocity for question 1.
What changed your mind?
Question 4, I have no clue, except that "before each driver recognised the imminent danger" is referring to the skid marks again.
yep - that refers to the skid marks.

1. kinematics - can get the acceleration off F=ma.
2. you need to use the angles to work out the initial speed of car #2 since #1 starts out stationary.
3. same as 1 but for before the collision.
4. the way I read this one is that you are being asked to factor in the reaction time for the drivers to notice they are in trouble to when they actually slam on the brakes.note: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=609200

That makes a lot of sense. We were also given reaction times, if I recall correctly.
Thank you so much, you're a life saver. ^^'

Maybe you furnish graphic presentation of the vehicles after and before the collision.

I'm confused. How do I use the Law of Conservation of Momentum if I don't have the time (how long they drove before the crashed, and the time it took for them to stop)? :S

for (1)

length of skid is d, acceleration (you have to find this) is a, time to slide to a stop is t (unknown) and initial speed is v (also unknown).

the v-t graph is a triangle:
displacement is the area under the graph: d=vt/2
acceleration is the slope of the graph: a=v/t

that's two equations and two unknowns.

Your correct it wants velocity for q1 & q2

your given the coefficent of friction which is important for your motion equations.
Coefficent = Ff /Fn

Q2 the conservation of momentum is probably the easiest part and theirs tons of examples in the class work and in your textbook.

Q4 its basically asking for the total time from when they saw the other car and the distance.

need anything else facebook me

The Momentum Part is actually very simple because it wants you to find the initial velocity right and momentum is velocity * mass. so the combined momentum of the Car and the 4wd must equal the original momentum of the 4WD

Pi = Pa + Pb
In this rule Pa and Pb are vectors so some trig will have to be done to work it out depending on where the car's are.

alright umm that's a tough one but
q1 you work out the speed immediately before impact

I'll check your answers at school.

@Veloco-raptor: how did you get on?

Related to Help me out with these speed, velocity and momentum related questions?

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What is the unit of measurement for velocity?

The unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

Can an object have zero velocity but still have momentum?

Yes, an object can have zero velocity but still have momentum. This is because momentum takes into account the object's mass, so if an object has mass and is not at rest, it will have momentum.

What are some real-life examples of momentum?

Some real-life examples of momentum include a moving car, a rolling ball, and a person running. Any object in motion has momentum, and the larger the object's mass and velocity, the greater the momentum will be.