Help me, nearest neighbor problem.

In summary: As an example, let's say you have all of the data already. As an optimization step you could create a spatial organization structure. One such structure that comes to mind is any kind of bounded classification structure."--> This is definitely something I could consider. I could create a simple, axis aligned bounding box around each point in my problem set. Then, I could use a simple k-d tree structure to store the data. This would allow me to quickly and easily search for a point within a set of points."The critical part of doing this is creating the optimal classification structure. Your structure could ultimately be some kind of convex-hull which is created based on the density of the number of points
phaothu365
Hi everyone,

I am new to computational geometry. As part of my master thesis, I have to solve a popular nearest neighbor problem. My task is to search for a point in a set of some 2000 4-dimensional points which is closest to a given point in the sense of Euclidean distance.

After reading some literatures and rich resources on Internet about this very well known NN problem, I found some helpful methods and variants to deal with it (linear search, space partitioning,e.t.c). However, my application is real time and thus requires fast computation such that the closest point is found as quickly as possible,i.e. search time is the most critical objective.

Can anyone who has experience in this fields suggest me some methods (in the vast quantity of methods available today) as optimal choices for my particular problem?

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Viet

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey phathu365 and welcome to the forums.

Are you allowed to precompute structural information before you do the search?

As an example, let's say you have all of the data already. As an optimization step you could create a spatial organization structure. One such structure that comes to mind is any kind of bounded classification structure.

The simplest examples of such structures include axis aligned bounding boxes or spheres about a point.

The critical part of doing this is creating the optimal classification structure. Your structure could ultimately be some kind of convex-hull which is created based on the density of the number of points in a particular area.

One suggestion would be to create some kind of binary partitioning scheme which combines your spatial classification structures so that each test essentially halves the number of points to search which would effectively reduce your algorithmic time to O(log_2(n)).

What constraints do you have? Can you precompute metadata for the points in question (like binary trees/spatial information/etc) or do you have a hybrid of new/old data where some data is static and the other is dynamic?

chiro said:
Hey phathu365 and welcome to the forums.

Are you allowed to precompute structural information before you do the search?

As an example, let's say you have all of the data already. As an optimization step you could create a spatial organization structure. One such structure that comes to mind is any kind of bounded classification structure.

The simplest examples of such structures include axis aligned bounding boxes or spheres about a point.

The critical part of doing this is creating the optimal classification structure. Your structure could ultimately be some kind of convex-hull which is created based on the density of the number of points in a particular area.

One suggestion would be to create some kind of binary partitioning scheme which combines your spatial classification structures so that each test essentially halves the number of points to search which would effectively reduce your algorithmic time to O(log_2(n)).

What constraints do you have? Can you precompute metadata for the points in question (like binary trees/spatial information/etc) or do you have a hybrid of new/old data where some data is static and the other is dynamic?

Hi Chiro,

Actually, in my problem, the set of points is static. It means that I have fixed known set of points in 4D. For example {0.125; 0.342; 0.9871; 0.7653} is a typical point in the set of some such 2000 points. Only the query point is dynamic. It means for each time instance I have to SWITFLY identify the closest point to this dynamic points in the set of static points. Quick computation time is the only constraint I have in this problem.

"Are you allowed to precompute structural information before you do the search?"
--> Since all the data points are known and used as offline data set, I can precompute structural information or any kind of manipulation on these data points. As you said, the art of solving this problem boils down to how to create an optimal spatial organization structure. However, there are many partition algorithms available such as k-d tree, R-tree,etc and I am not experienced enough to determine what scheme is optimally suitable for my particular problem. According to your suggestion, should I apply partition scheme used in k-d tree algorithm to my problem? Or what could you suggest as better solutions?

Related to Help me, nearest neighbor problem.

1. What is the nearest neighbor problem?

The nearest neighbor problem is a commonly encountered problem in data analysis and computer science. It involves finding the closest data point to a given query point in a given dataset. It is often used in tasks such as image recognition, recommendation systems, and clustering.

2. How is the nearest neighbor problem solved?

The nearest neighbor problem can be solved using various algorithms, such as brute force search, k-d trees, and locality-sensitive hashing. These algorithms involve calculating the distance between the query point and each data point in the dataset, and then selecting the closest one.

3. What is the importance of the nearest neighbor problem?

The nearest neighbor problem is important because it has numerous real-world applications and is a fundamental concept in data analysis. It allows us to find similar data points, make predictions, and identify patterns in large datasets.

4. What are the limitations of the nearest neighbor problem?

One of the main limitations of the nearest neighbor problem is its computational cost, as it involves calculating the distance between each data point in a dataset. It can also be affected by outliers and noise in the data, which can lead to inaccurate results.

5. How can the nearest neighbor problem be improved?

To improve the nearest neighbor problem, various techniques such as feature scaling, dimensionality reduction, and data preprocessing can be used. Additionally, using more advanced algorithms or combining multiple algorithms can also lead to better results.