Help making IR Transmitter and receiver

In summary, the conversation is about an amateur modeler who is interested in physics and is trying to make a model car/roadway that can be controlled by a computer. They have successfully placed a motor in the model but are struggling to find small enough batteries to power it. They need help with making IR transmitters and receivers for the model, as well as integrating it with a microprocessor and computer to control speeds and lights. The suggestion is made to use IR instead of RF for better coverage and to avoid interference at exhibitions. The modeler asks for more information and help with choosing components.
Discript
Hi everyone

I am an amateur modeler and am very interested in physics and am trying to
to make a model car/roadway that can move and be controlled by a computer.
I have managed to placing a motor in the models, but have not found battery's which are small enough and can run it. So what i need Help with is this, I need some help and some advice on how to make the IR transmitters and receivers for the models, how to make the models work with a microprocessor and where i could get some and most of all how this can all go to a computer and be able to control the: speeds and lights on all cars and lorrys. Also any help with what motors that i should get that are very small and us little power.

Thx in advance and any help greatly appreciated.

Discript

Engineering news on Phys.org
well you could probably take radio control systems, that would at least overcome all the encoding and decoding processes. Just replace the Rf transmitter and receiver with infra red TX and RX modules.
But why use IR when RF will give better coverage with less drop out of signal ?

Dave

Hi davenn

I am working in 1:87 scale on a model, so there arent meany RC Cars for this scale. IF can not be interfered with as much as radio signals, and as i intend to exhibit this model i don't want radio signals Stopping the show. I was planing on putting IR transmitters around the board to give overall coverage.

Could you ma-by explain a bit more, i am a total amateur at electronics (i know a bit about circuits and stuff but need help with what components to get and such)

Thx allot

Discript

Last edited:

Related to Help making IR Transmitter and receiver

1. How does an IR transmitter and receiver work?

An IR transmitter and receiver work by using infrared light to transmit and receive signals. The transmitter emits infrared light, which is then received by the receiver. The receiver then decodes the signal and converts it into a usable form, such as an electrical signal.

2. What materials are needed to make an IR transmitter and receiver?

To make an IR transmitter and receiver, you will need an infrared LED, a resistor, a power source (such as a battery), and a receiver module. You may also need a breadboard, jumper wires, and a microcontroller to control the transmitter and receiver.

3. Can an IR transmitter and receiver be used for long distances?

IR transmitters and receivers have a limited range and are typically used for short distances, such as within a room. However, with the use of amplifiers and specialized lenses, the range can be extended to a few meters.

4. How do I test if my IR transmitter and receiver are working?

To test if your IR transmitter and receiver are working, you can use a digital camera or a smartphone camera. Point the transmitter towards the camera and press a button on the remote. If the transmitter is working, you should see a purple light on the camera's screen. Then, point the receiver towards the camera and press the button again. If the receiver is working, you should see a purple light on the camera's screen.

5. Can an IR transmitter and receiver be used for communication between devices?

Yes, an IR transmitter and receiver can be used for communication between devices. They are commonly used in remote controls for TVs and other electronics. They can also be used for data transmission between devices, such as in wireless keyboards and mice.