HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement?

In summary, "Optical Measurement" would be the most relevant class for a future in physics, as it covers topics such as optics, laser interferometry, digital holography, and other techniques that are commonly used in physics research. The other option, "Kinematics and Mechanisms," may not be as directly applicable to graduate work in physics.
RagingBull12
I'm currently working towards a masters in mechanical engineering, however I plan to focus in physics once this is complete.

Which Mechanical Eng class would be most relevant towards a future in physics?

- Kinematics and Mechanisms
- Traditional Kinematics of mechanisms, joints, linkages, etc

- Optical Measurement & Qlty Measurment
- Optics
- Laser interferometry
- Digital Holography
- Digital Shearography
- Laser Triangulation
- 3D Computer Vision
- Moire Technique

Physics news on Phys.org
RagingBull12 said:
I'm currently working towards a masters in mechanical engineering, however I plan to focus in physics once this is complete.

Which Mechanical Eng class would be most relevant towards a future in physics?

Kinematics and Mechanisms
- Traditional Kinematics of mechanisms, joints, linkages, etc

Optical Measurement & Qlty Measurment
- Optics
- Laser interferometry
- Digital Holography
- Digital Shearography
- Laser Triangulation
- 3D Computer Vision
- Moire Technique

I'm really needing a reply from someone. I need to make a decision today.

Thanks,

I think "Optical Measurement" would be more relevant to graduate work in physics.

las3rjock said:
I think "Optical Measurement" would be more relevant to graduate work in physics.

Anyone else around here that could comment on this topic?

I agree on optical measurement. I don't see much physics research being done on what has been described in the kinematics section of your post. Optics on the other hand... that's the bees knees ;)

Related to HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement?

1. What is HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement?

HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement is a scientific method used to measure the motion and velocity of objects using high-speed cameras and specialized software. It allows for precise and accurate tracking of an object's movement in three-dimensional space.

2. How does HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement work?

HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement works by using multiple cameras to capture images of an object in motion from different angles. These images are then analyzed by specialized software to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at different points in time.

3. What are the advantages of using HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement?

HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement offers several advantages over traditional methods of measurement, including high accuracy and precision, non-invasiveness, and the ability to capture data in real-time. It is also a versatile technique that can be used in a variety of scientific fields, such as biomechanics, sports science, and robotics.

4. What are some applications of HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement?

HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement has a wide range of applications, such as analyzing the movement patterns of athletes to improve performance, studying the mechanics of animal locomotion, and tracking the movement of objects in industrial settings. It is also used in the development and testing of new technologies, such as self-driving cars and drones.

5. What are the limitations of HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement?

While HELP Kinetmatics or Optical Measurement is a powerful and useful technique, it does have some limitations. These include the need for specialized equipment and software, potential errors due to occlusion or reflective surfaces, and the difficulty of capturing fast-moving objects. It also requires a controlled environment and may not be suitable for all types of motion analysis.