HELP Is my answer correct? Is negative Friction possible?

In summary, the conversation is about a dogsled team with four dogs pulling a person and a sled with a combined mass of 100 kg. In part A, they start from rest and reach a speed of 45 km/h in 2.5 seconds. The average force applied by each dog is calculated to be 500 N. In part B, it is assumed that each dog can pull with a force of magnitude 150 N. The frictional force acting on the sled is determined to be 100 N.
13physicsdude
HELP! Is my answer correct?? Is negative Friction possible?!?

Homework Statement

A dogsled team has four dogs that pull a person and a sled with a combined mass of 100 kg.

A) They start from rest and reach a speed of 45 km/h in 2.5s. What is the average force applied by each dog?

B) Suppose each dog can pull with a force of magnitude 150 N. What is the frictional force acting on the sled

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
a=Vf-Vi/t
a=45-0/2.5
a=45/2.5
a=18 m/s2

Fnet=ma
Fnet=(100)(18)
Fnet=1800N/4 dogs
Fnet=450 N

∴ Average force applied by each dog is 450 NB)
T-Ff=ma
600-Ff=ma
600-Ff=100(18)
600-Ff=1800
Ff=600-1800
Ff=-1200 N

∴ the Frictional force acting on the sled is -1200 N
Is my answer correct for part A and B ?? Its for an assignment due tomorrow and I want to make sure its correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
13physicsdude said:

Homework Statement

A dogsled team has four dogs that pull a person and a sled with a combined mass of 100 kg.

A) They start from rest and reach a speed of 45 km/h in 2.5s. What is the average force applied by each dog?

B) Suppose each dog can pull with a force of magnitude 150 N. What is the frictional force acting on the sled

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
a=Vf-Vi/t
a=45-0/2.5
a=45/2.5
a=18 m/s2

Fnet=ma
Fnet=(100)(18)
Fnet=1800N/4 dogs
Fnet=450 N

∴ Average force applied by each dog is 450 N

B)
T-Ff=ma
600-Ff=ma
600-Ff=100(18)
600-Ff=1800
Ff=600-1800
Ff=-1200 N

∴ the Frictional force acting on the sled is -1200 N

Is my answer correct for part A and B ?? Its for an assignment due tomorrow and I want to make sure its correct.

A is good, B is not.

In B you used an acceleration provided by dogs pulling a total of 1800N. In B though the total dog force is just 600N. So you know that computation is out the window.

In part B there is no acceleration. The force of 600N is used just to keep the sled moving. So in the absence of acceleration, what two forces balance each other?

EDIT: come to think of it, part A assumes zero friction, which is kind of weird considering part B involves friction, but there it is. Either that or the wording should have been "what is the average force, less friction force, applied by each dog?".

Also, ap123 is right, part A needs doing over to get the units right.

Textbook physics for you!

Last edited:
A)
a=Vf-Vi/t
a=45-0/2.5
a=45/2.5
a=18 m/s2

In part (a) you'll have to convert the speed from km/h to m/s.
This will give you an answer which makes more sense for part (b)

following you should get friction coefficient=0.1

Is ap123 correct? should I convert it from km/h to m/s?

ya never mind ap123 was correct, I changed the units which gave me 5 m/s2= acceleration, which gave me 125 N force per dog for part "A"... I then multiplied by 4 because there's 4 dogs and I got 500N and plugged that into part "B" in replace of 1800N... which gave me the final answer for part "B" of Ff= 100 N , is that correct now?

13physicsdude said:
ya never mind ap123 was correct, I changed the units which gave me 5 m/s2= acceleration, which gave me 125 N force per dog for part "A"... I then multiplied by 4 because there's 4 dogs and I got 500N and plugged that into part "B" in replace of 1800N... which gave me the final answer for part "B" of Ff= 100 N , is that correct now?

That looks right :)
In part (b) each dog exerts an extra 25N making 100N extra compared with part (a).
To get the same acceleration, this 100N must be opposed by an equal frictional force

13physicsdude said:

Yes, that's right.

alrighty, thanks everyone! :)

Related to HELP Is my answer correct? Is negative Friction possible?

1. Is my answer correct?

As a scientist, it is important to always verify the accuracy of your answer. One way to do this is by double-checking your calculations and referencing reliable sources.

2. How can I determine if my answer is correct?

To determine the accuracy of your answer, you can compare it to the expected or accepted result. You can also conduct further experiments or research to confirm your answer.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of my answer?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of your answer, such as incorrect data, flawed methodology, or bias. It is important to be aware of these factors and take steps to minimize their impact on your answer.

4. Can negative friction exist?

Yes, negative friction can exist in certain situations. This phenomenon is known as reverse friction or negative resistance, and it occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its motion.

5. How does negative friction affect objects?

Negative friction can have various effects on objects, depending on the specific circumstances. In some cases, it can cause an object to accelerate in the opposite direction of the applied force. In other cases, it can cause an object to slow down or even come to a complete stop.