Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story

In summary, the animation on the Wikipedia page for Minkowski diagrams shows events moving in and out of an observer's past light cone. However, events do not actually leave the past light cone once they enter it. This is in accordance with the physics of an observer's inertial reference frame. The animation is not drawn using a specific coordinate system, but rather shows the effect of the observer's changing reference frame on the coordinates of events. Overall, the animation can be confusing but it is educational in understanding the concept of light cones and reference frames.
Grinkle
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
This animation shows events moving in and out of an observers past light cone. I am not sure how to interpret that.
At the very bottom of this page -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_diagram

is the below animation. My understanding is that events in the lower triangle are events that can have had an influence on my present, they are in my past-lightcone. I understand that events must move in and out of my past and future light cones as I change my reference frame. I am not sure how interpret an event that was not previously in my past light cone moving into my past light cone and then moving back out of my past light cone.
Can someone offer a human-scale story to describe such an event? EG - I am traveling along in my rocket ship ... etc.

1598482705165.png

Physics news on Phys.org
My best attempt -

Any single snapshot of the future cone allows the spacetime graph analyst to assess how long the observer needs to stay within the snapshot reference frame in order to observe the future event.

Any single snapshot of the past cone allows the spacetime graph analyst to assess how long the observer needed to have been in the snapshot reference frame for that event to have actually been observed.

As a streaming animation, its fun to look at but doesn't really tell the spacetime graph analyst much unless it is combined with full information on the acceleration profile, future and past.

Grinkle said:
Summary:: This animation shows events moving in and out of an observers past light cone. I am not sure how to interpret that.

I am not sure how interpret an event that was not previously in my past light cone moving into my past light cone and then moving back out of my past light cone
Does that happen? I couldn’t see any, but it is hard to watch

Dale said:
Does that happen?

I can definitely see events entering the past cone, I am not sure I can see any events leaving the past cone, now that you mention it.

Grinkle said:
I understand that events must move in and out of my past and future light cones as I change my reference frame.

No, they don't. The light cones at any given event are invariant; they are the same in all frames.

What is true that, if you consider an event B on your worldline that is to the future of another event A, B's past light cone will be a superset of A's past light cone (i.e., all events in A's past light cone are in B's, but not vice versa), and A's future light cone will be a superset of B's future light cone. So in that sense events might be said to move into your past light cone, and other events might be said to move out of your future light cone, as you "move" along your worldline. But "moving" along your worldline is not the same as changing your reference frame.

Likes Grinkle
Grinkle said:
I am not sure I can see any events leaving the past cone, now that you mention it.

They don't, if we are talking about any particular observer's worldline. See my previous post just now.

DrGreg said:
For convenience, here is the animation.
And as we can see, the worldline of the observer in question looks rather like the GPS track resulting from my first attempt to navigate a boat by compass in a dense fog. This isn’t inertial motion, and it isn’t an example of the constant acceleration that makes Rindler coordinates easy to work with.

The animation isn’t even drawn using the egregiously non-inertial coordinates in which our observer is at rest. In fact, it’s not drawn using any coordinate system at all (because events are moving around). It’s plotting every interesting event (the dots flying around, every point on the observer’s worldline, every point on the lightlike edges of the observer’s past and future light cones) using the observer’s momentarily comoving inertial frame - and then as that frame changes, showing the effect of the change by moving everything else around to its new coordinate position. That’s why the observer is fixed at the center and the light cone lines don’t move - those events always have the same coordinates in the various MCIFs. Conversely, as the MCIF changes, so do the coordinates of all the events represented by the dots, and the motion of the dots shows the coordinate changes.

This might be the most confusing spacetime diagram I’ve ever seen... but I have to admit that figuring what it’s really showing is somewhat educational.

Grinkle said:
I can definitely see events entering the past cone, I am not sure I can see any events leaving the past cone, now that you mention it.
Having looked at it three times now I am pretty sure that no event ever goes backwards through the light cones. That is correct. Each subsequent past light cone contains the previous.

Nugatory said:
it’s not drawn using any coordinate system at all

Not a single one, no. I agree that what is being done is what you describe: as each event on the observer worldline passes through the center (simulating the observer "moving" along the worldline, from the observer's "point of view"--they stay "in the same place" while the worldline, and spacetime with it, "moves" past them from future to past), the coordinate system is shifted to be the momentarily comoving inertial frame of the observer at that event.

Dale said:
Having looked at it three times now I am pretty sure that no event ever goes backwards through the light cones.

Both light cones (future and past), yes. No event ever re-enters the future light cone once it leaves it, and no event ever leaves the past light cone once it enters it. Both of these properties are in accordance with the physics.

PeterDonis said:
"moving" along your worldline is not the same as changing your reference frame.

Does accelerating change an observers inertial reference frame? I have always thought that by definition that is so.

Grinkle said:
Does accelerating change an observers inertial reference frame?

There is no such thing as "an observer's inertial reference frame". Anyone can use whatever inertial frame they want.

Accelerating does change which inertial frame an observer is momentarily at rest in, but there is no requirement that an observer must use an inertial frame they are momentarily at rest in. Inertial frames are human constructs used for calculations and models.

Likes cianfa72, vanhees71 and Dale

Related to Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story

1. What is SR Animation and how does it relate to Human-Scale Story?

SR Animation stands for Systemic Racism Animation and it is a visual storytelling tool that aims to educate and raise awareness about systemic racism and its impact on individuals and society. Human-Scale Story is a specific type of SR Animation that focuses on personal experiences of racism and discrimination.

2. How is SR Animation created and what techniques are used?

SR Animation is created using a combination of animation techniques such as 2D and 3D animation, motion graphics, and visual effects. The process also involves scriptwriting, storyboarding, voice acting, and sound design to effectively convey the message and emotions of the story.

3. What is the purpose of Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story?

The purpose of Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story is to provide guidance and support for individuals who may have difficulty understanding the complex themes and messages portrayed in SR Animation, specifically in the context of personal experiences of racism. It aims to facilitate meaningful discussions and promote empathy and understanding.

4. Who can benefit from Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story?

Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story can benefit a wide range of individuals, including educators, students, activists, and anyone interested in learning more about systemic racism and its impact on individuals and society. It can also be a useful tool for promoting diversity and inclusion in various settings.

5. Are there any resources available to accompany Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story?

Yes, there are various resources available to accompany Help Interpreting SR Animation: Human-Scale Story, such as discussion guides, lesson plans, and additional reading materials. These resources can enhance the learning experience and provide further context and information about systemic racism and its effects.