Help Internal Energy of a Liquid

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in internal energy in thermodynamics and how it relates to heat and work. It is explained that during vaporization, the heat is equal to the mass multiplied by the latent heat and work is equal to pressure multiplied by the change in volume. The equation for calculating internal energy for a natural gas, Neon, is provided and it is mentioned that the internal energy for the liquid state should not be negative. However, the speaker's professors have been unable to provide an answer as to why the calculated internal energy for the liquid state is negative.
tamiller07
In thermodynamics
Change in Internal Energy = Heat - Work ([tex]\Delta[/tex]U=Q-W)

During vaporization my Heat is mass*Latent Heat (Q=mL) and Work is Pressure*change in volume (W=P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V), so [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=mL-P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V.

Let's take any of the natural monoatomic gases, Neon in this case.

[tex]\Delta[/tex] = Volume of gas state - Volume of liquid state, you can find this using a standard 1kg of mass and the density at the boiling point of in each state. I used [noparse]http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/[/noparse] as my source.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U = Ugas - Uliquid therefore Uliquid=Ugas - [tex]\Delta[/tex]U

I can find the internal energy(U) of Neon gas at the boiling point. U=[tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]nRT.(n=mols of Neon, R=8.31, T=boiling temp in K or 27.1K

When it works out,

Uliquid=Ugas - [tex]\Delta[/tex]U
Uliquid=16740 Joules - 77993 Joules
Uliquid= -61252 Joules

my question is, how can I have negative internal energy for the liquid? My professors can't give me an answer and they've been researching for a few days now. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The amount of liquid also changes, so what you did there is wrong. When you are boiling a liquid, the internal energy per unit mass of the liquid does not change. Neither is the internal energy per unit mass of the gas. 100% of the energy you put in goes into the "hidden energy" aka "enthlapy of vaporization" for the system.

I bet your professors haven't even thought about this because they don't care, and they say "i don't know" just to get you off their back.

U = Ugas - Uliquid therefore Uliquid=Ugas - U

Just throwing out a guess, but wouldn't this be -Uliquid = u/ugas? If my memory on equations is correct...

Thats U divided by Ugas btw.

Related to Help Internal Energy of a Liquid

1. What is internal energy of a liquid?

The internal energy of a liquid refers to the total amount of energy that its molecules possess due to their motion and position. It includes both the kinetic energy and potential energy of the molecules.

2. How is the internal energy of a liquid different from its temperature?

While temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a liquid, internal energy takes into account both the kinetic and potential energy of the molecules. This means that two liquids with the same temperature can have different internal energies if their molecular structures are different.

3. How can the internal energy of a liquid be changed?

The internal energy of a liquid can be changed through various processes such as heating or cooling, changing its volume or pressure, or through chemical reactions. These processes can either increase or decrease the internal energy depending on the conditions.

4. What is the relationship between internal energy and phase changes in a liquid?

During a phase change, such as melting or boiling, the internal energy of a liquid remains constant. This is because the energy is being used to break or form intermolecular bonds, rather than increasing the overall energy of the molecules.

5. How is the internal energy of a liquid measured?

The internal energy of a liquid can be measured using various techniques such as calorimetry, which measures the heat transfer between the liquid and its surroundings, or through thermodynamic equations that take into account variables such as temperature, pressure, and volume.