Help in Finding a Polymer that Satisfies Certain Physical Criteria

In summary, the person is looking for a material that can meet a certain list of criteria, including being able to embed heating coils, absorb and retain heat, be comfortable to walk on, and not be toxic or hazardous. It is suggested that an underfloor heating system, typically with ceramic tile or laminate and hot water pipes or electric heating elements, may fulfill these requirements. The individual is also interested in how cement or other materials can heat up from embedded heating coils, and the potential risks of electrocution.
rbd246
Hello all, I am new to these forums and just registered.
I plan to be an active participant on here and reciprocate the generosity I've observed in other threads.

Im looking for a certain "material" that can satisfy this list of criteria that I've put together.
I'm pretty sure that I am looking for a polymer but perhaps someone else has some other suggestions (all of which are most welcome).
So here are the criteria:
-i would like to be able to embed or "en-vein" in this material a few heating coils/wires
-can absorb heat but not melt while doing so. these coils/wires would be heated and expected to heat this material in which they're
embedded. (not talking about too high a temperature here, I'd only like it to stay around 80-85 degrees farenheit) the heat would be
expected to spread from the coil/wire to and through it's surrounding material.
-can be able to retain some of that heat and not easily lose it to the air around it.
-If slightly stretched/stressed/pressed, in any way, it wouldn't easily crack/break/tear or rip.
-If feet were to be set ontop of this "mat of material" it would feel comfortable and soft (not a pudding soft, but a firm soft...
if that makes sense, haha).
-hydrophobic - if a cup of water were to be spilled near this "mat of material" it wouldn't seep through this material and damage or
disrupt the inner coils/wires.
-while being warm and soft, it shouldn't feel dry to one's feet but rather smooth.
-if this material were lying around and a man/woman were to be breathing in the air, this material wouldn't somehow be "toxic"
or hazardous to one's health via something airborne relating to the nature of this material. also it shouldn't produce some bad rash
or other reactive response from a person's touch/feet.

Ideally someone could name what it is I'm looking for and suggest me a way to acquire it.
Just as good would be any suggestions, advice, or input that would help me get a little closer to that ideal.

Thanks all and looking to be an active PF member!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

That sounds a lot like an underfloor heating system, which I hear are quite popular for master baths and the likes. I think they're usually ceramic tile or laminate over top of hot water pipes or electric heating elements:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underfloor_heating

Perhaps something that's already out there may help you out further?

EDIT: As for the requirement that it have give and be soft, some sort of thin rubber coating, or even a truck-bed liner spray?

Thanks MATLABdude! That definitely set me going in the right direction. Only I have another question that follows upon reading a bit further but would it be considered "thread-jacking" if I did that?
The question would be what would happen if i embedded heating coils in cement, for example, as in the underfloor heating systems - how does the cement actually heat up from these electrically charged coils? and how would the dangers of electrocution be appropriately taken care of?

It's your thread, and as long as it's more or less concerning the same thing, the mods probably aren't going to come down on you for tangential discussions.

Risk of shock? That might be the case if the cement / thick or thin set / whatever were a very good (electrical) conductor, or if you just buried uninsulated nichrome wire. This doesn't seem to be the case for the ones that you can buy at your local hardware store, for instance:
http://www.homedepot.com/undefined-Under-Floor-Heating/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zapte/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

To completely avoid the risk of electrocution / shock (and since electrical heat is usually more expensive than burning natural gas) you have systems that circulate saline / glycol solutions or just plain hot water.

As for how the cement / tile / wood actually heats up? Via conduction, since the coils or wire or hot water pipes are embedded in it (or just underneath). You probably don't pile on tons of cement or thickset, and I imagine that there's an insulating layer installed below the heating element to ensure that most of the heat goes upwards and into warming your feet.

This article (and site) seem to go into more details on the nuts and bolts of underfloor heating:
http://www.alternative-heating.com/underfloor_heating.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are looking for a polymer that has specific properties to use in a heating application. Based on your criteria, I would suggest looking into thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs). TPEs are a type of polymer that combines the properties of both plastic and rubber, making them flexible and resilient while also being able to withstand high temperatures. They are also known for their ability to be easily molded and formed, making them ideal for embedding heating coils/wires.

Some specific TPE materials that may fit your criteria are styrene-butadiene-styrene (SBS) and styrene-ethylene-butylene-styrene (SEBS). These materials have good heat resistance and can retain their shape and flexibility even when stretched or stressed. They are also known for their soft and comfortable feel, similar to what you are looking for.

In terms of hydrophobicity, TPEs can be modified to be more water-resistant, but they may not be completely waterproof. You may need to consider adding a waterproof coating to the material or using a different material altogether if water resistance is crucial.

It's difficult to say if a material will be toxic or hazardous without knowing the specific composition and manufacturing process. However, TPEs are generally considered safe for use in various applications and are commonly used in the medical and food industries. It's always important to research and test the material before using it in a product.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search for the perfect polymer!

1. What is a polymer?

A polymer is a large molecule made up of repeating units, called monomers, that are chemically bonded together. These molecules can have a wide range of sizes and properties, making them useful in various applications.

2. What physical criteria should be considered when searching for a suitable polymer?

The physical criteria that should be considered include molecular weight, chemical structure, thermal properties, mechanical properties, and solubility. These factors will determine the polymer's strength, flexibility, and compatibility with other materials.

3. How do I determine which polymer is best for my specific needs?

To determine the best polymer for your needs, it is important to consider the specific requirements of your project and match them with the physical properties of different polymers. Additionally, consulting with a materials scientist or utilizing resources such as databases and research articles can help guide your decision.

4. What are some common applications of polymers?

Polymers have a wide range of applications, including in the production of plastics, rubber, adhesives, coatings, and fibers. They are also used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, electronics, and healthcare.

5. How can I find a polymer that satisfies certain physical criteria?

There are several ways to find a polymer that meets your physical criteria. One option is to consult with a polymer manufacturer or supplier who can provide information on their products. You can also use online databases or search engines specifically designed for polymer materials. Additionally, conducting research and consulting with experts in the field can help narrow down your options.